1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Precision Bass 70s PJ mod

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 4-Banger, Oct 1, 2020.

1. 4-Banger

4-Banger Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Chicago
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Selling some gear to fund the order of a Serek bass.

I have posted two 4K videos, one of a sound sample and one visual inspection.

PB70 Japanese neck on a PJ body. Under 9 lbs. Bass has wear so if you are looking for pristine instruments, this is not your pick. I wanted something that would be both affordable and also have the vibe of a 1970s instrument without going down the road worn rabbit hole. This bass has been a workhorse bass. The vast majority of the wear is present in the pictures. The J route was done some years ago and did not come from the factory.

DiMarzio pickups run into CTS stack knob pots and 0.66 uf capacitors. The tape is currently covering the bass side of split pickup as the bass has tapewound strings. On both this bass and the Lakland, the tapes cause a bit of a buzz on the neck pickup. I would remove the tape as the bass wont ship with the tapes. With normal strings there is no substantial static hum with this bass, it is shielded and grounded as intended. I can ship with black pickguard, celluloid tortoise, or both. A couple of the pickguard screws are replaced with non-originals, all nickel phillips but two are tarnished (I think there might be a couple zinc screws that were swapped in the pictures). Bass will not have the La Bella Tapewounds as pictured, will have GHS balanced tension nickel rounds shipped. I could also send it with GHS precision flats if that is your thing. (Although I would be willing to send the Blue Dream special edition tapes for an extra 35 dollars - they were cut for a Lakland 5 so the G string is extended for this bass). The bass plays like butter with TI flats and just as well with tapes.

650 is the shipped talkbass price. The neck alone is 450 and the electronics work makes up most of the additional 200. If it doesn't sell here, I would probably part it out.

Attached Files:

jebmd, mikewalker and CGramazio like this.
  2. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    What's the origin of the body?

3. 4-Banger

Jul 21, 2010
    Chicago
    I picked it up on the bay as a body only. Not sure past that. It's light and resonant.

4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So Volume Volume? Sounds good!

jebmd likes this.
  5. 4-Banger

Jul 21, 2010
    Chicago
    V/T V/T
    I never liked the sound of the PJ bass with a single tone control. It's too honky and poppy. When you can dial the bridge pickup tone down, it smooths out the sound and makes it far more usable IMO

jebmd and Chace90 like this.
  6. What part of Virginia?

7. 4-Banger

Jul 21, 2010
    Chicago
    I am up in NOVA around Leesburg area. Richmond area is a bit of a drive.