1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Precision bass and slapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Its like this, i bought a Precision bass when i started playing, cos im into metal and all that and often uses P. But now i heard that Flea does slapping, so that means slapping must work in music i like (RHCP) so it might work with rock, so i listened to some video, and it just sounds kick***. Ive played some iron maiden songs myself, but it aint all that fun since it doesnt really sound "interesting" when not used in a band, as its more to add rhytm and punch etc (tho AC/DC has more of a songish style tho)And probably its more interesting once i get a real amp, cos i mostly hear the strings(using computer speakers) anyway, theres alot more too it, and i wanna learn slap/pop too to keepmy views oepn. but to the point, does slapping work with a P bass well?
    Also, any chance it might work with classic rock? or metal ? has it been tried before?

2. Slapping sounds great on a P bass - it's thicker and fatter than on a J or Musicman. However, it's probably not what you're used to hearing. You might like the sound or you might hate it, but either way, its character comes from where the pickup is placed. The rest of the bass is essentially identical to a J or MM or anything else - you can slap whatever you want. Ignoring tone, the P slaps just as well as any other bass. I'd recommend sticking with your P until you get good enough at slapping, and then make a decision on the tone. Slapping will sound bad on any bass if you don't have your technique down.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yes, on hundreds of recordings back in the day. :eyebrow:
    Ps have their own distinct slap sound but they don't sound as clean as the slap sound that's popular today. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to get a Flea-ish tone out of a P bass, unless you install a J pickup near the bridge.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

5. chriscisme

chriscisme

Dec 20, 2005
    definetly the best for slapping are EMGz, those things are sick

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Of course you can slap on one. Many have

Rob

7. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    P's used to be the standard for slappin' back in the day. (not that I remember, of course!)((or was even there)).

8. does Louis Johnson come to mind?

9. i love the sound of slap bass on a p-bass so yea it definitely can be done, it's just a different sound like somebody said earlier, i think it's funkier in my own humble opinion

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

My bandmates like the sound of me slapping on my Pbass better than my Jbass. I like the J slap tone better.