Precision bass control plate?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cran, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Hey guys, I've been driven insane by the quarantine and want to modify my p bass. I've been looking at some mods and one of the ones I wanna do is adding a metal control cavity, a la jazz bass. This is what I'm talking about:
    fender precision bass masterbuilt jason smith.jpg Fender Precision bass nlmcguire91.JPG
    (The bottom one is from @nlmcguire91. Sorry for just stealing the image dude, it was just too pretty not to add!)

Now I know that others have made threads like this and gotten links to other options but the only one that I've found (that looks like it'd fit, the WD ones don't) is this, and it's a bit expensive, especially considering the shipping to New Zealand.

Does anyone know of any other better alternatives?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    wraub likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you want a project, get better strap-buttons. I recommend the over-sized ones:

31-qFwW-b1L__80760.1507754501.jpg

BLDavis, murphy and imabuddha like this.
  3. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    I was going to get straplocks for it anyway, so that's not really a worry :)

4. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Try guitarpartsresource.com

Go to the bottom of the menu for bass parts. They should be under 'control plates'.

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    If you are sitting around bored, make your own new control plate from aluminum! It isn't hard and doesn't require many tools.

Here's a thread I wrote a while back on making an aluminum pickguard:

Making A Brushed Aluminum Pickguard

wraub likes this.
  6. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Ah, it's there, but it's out of stock at the moment. But thanks for letting me know! I'll wait and see if I can nab it from there.

Loved seeing your work, but I don't have the tools for that at home, let alone at uni halls of residence where I normally stay. And due to the quarantine I can't go out to get them, either. Still food for thought for future projects! Can you achieve a finish like those on fender/G&L/musicman control plates?

7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I just modded my P bass with a diy control plate I cut from a thin steel real estate sign. It works great, the shape may need some finesse work and shaping, but it was cheap and easy to do with snips and files.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Yeah, the GPR one was the one I was looking at, but the OOS situation and the price made it a non-starter for me.

9. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    Any luck finding these? I'm interested as well.

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
  11. DCCat

DCCat

Jan 20, 2020
    Northern Virginia
    I cut and shaped this from a standard plastic p-bass pickguard. Not exactly professional quality, and not metal (couldn't find one in black anywhere), but it works as well as a standard pickguard for the electronics and doesn't hide all the wood.

Warmoth Body.jpg

12. basse_groove

basse_groove

Mar 8, 2020
    France
    Hi,
    here is my participation for a PJ Bass project which will be able to swap the Precision microphone with a Jazz microphone on the Neck side

21041511241325735717367882.jpg

21041511241625735717367884.jpg

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021