1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Precision Bass Conversion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ron G, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    I have a Squire 5 string active jazz bass and I would like to get a Precision 5, but I don't want to spend the money.

What I'm thinking of doing is convering my jazz into a P, what do you think? and where can I get a P bass 5 string pick- guard?

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My advice is to save your money and buy a P bass. With your scheme you'll likely spend as much as the P would cost and you'll end up (at best) with a bass no one will want if you decide to sell it, or (at worst) an unplayable mess, and then you'll have to buy another bass anyway. In the worst case you'll end up spending twice the worth of your bass just to get back to where you are now.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I can see where you're coming from. It seems like most the 5 string Squier P's have 4-string Jazz pickups anyway so you'll have to step-up and at least go with a MIM Precision 5, they sell pretty quick when they come-up.
    Ggun was correct in saying that you'll probably end-up buried money wise if you wanted to convert you're Jazz to a P. The pickup is about $70(MIA Precision 5 standard), you'll have to get your bass routed and a custom pickguard. If you have to pay for the work you might be in it for $175-$200 when it's all said and done and that's probably more than the bass is worth.

4. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks.