Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision Bass: Fender or Other

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agreatheight, Feb 19, 2006.

1. I have decided that my next purchase will be a high end 4 string P-Bass, but I am looking to check other options in addition to Fender. I am looking for the ubiquitous Fender Precision recorded sound - this instrument will likely be sutdio only. No need for a 10 top or fancy appointments, just want solid construction and excellent tone. I know there are a lot of options out there for J-Bass styled instruments (Lakland, Sadowsky, Lull, etc) - but what about for the Precision? I'll have around $1500 to spend and I am always interested in used. I'd think I'd be quite content to get a MIA Fender P, but it is in my nature to check all options before making a decision. Oh, and I would very much prefer a US made bass! Thanks!

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    hmmm if you are looking for the "Fender Precision bass sound" ... My guess is.. you want a Fender Precision Bass.. Other basses sound better in some opinions. But what could sound more like a Fender P-bass then a Fender itself? Then again you could get a MM Stingray and be a bit more versatile. Those things can sound like Rics, P-basses, Jazz basses hehe damn near anything.

3. I know, I know...

Just covering my basses (pun intended) - I know a lot of guys prefer the construction / sound of say a Sadowsky over Fender for a Jazz so I thought I'd fish for info about a Precision.

And I already have a MM Stingray, lol.

My Basses:
    MM Stingray 5
    Zon Sonus 4
    Tobias Growler 4 Fretless
    Hamer Chaparral 8

4. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Sounds like the Lakland Bob Glaub would be a good one for you to check out. You may find a used U.S. model in your budget.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 on the lakland bob glaub

6. Lakland 44-01...not US, but you wouldn't care once you played it.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want that classic vintage sound, in the Fender stable you have two choices IMO: American Vintage '57 or '62. The former has a maple fretboard and raised polepieces under the A string, while the latter is rosewood without the staggered poles. Both are under $1,500 new, and they're on eBay all the time. The American Series basses (formerly American Standard) are great -- I absolutely love my 2004 -- but to my ears they don't nail that vintage '60s tone. Of course with a different pickup you could get there.

Or you could go with one of the makers you mentioned: Lull or Lakland. Both make excellent P copies, which come with Lindy Fralin pickups. The Lakland Skyline Series is MIK, and can be had for under a grand new or used.

8. +1 on the +1 on the Lakland Bob Glaub:D

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If he wants a p bass, i honestly tihnk the bob glaub would be the obvious choice. Feels amazing,, much better than MIA fenders.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually for $1500, your best choice would be to contact TBs Nino Valenti and have him assemble a custom for you :)

11. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    +1 on the Bob Glaub...

Also, another option for you would be the G&L SB-2. I've been lusting over them for a while; great looks, p and j pickups for good tonal options, and you can choose between different neck sizes as with all G&Ls. The controls are a little odd, but that's an easy fix if you were to get one.

Good luck.
    -Alex

12. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Do yourself a favor and wait until a used USA Bob Glaub shows up. It should be right around your priceline. I finally found a used one about a month ago, and it is an incredible bass. I personally prefer it to any other P style bass I have played. Or, you could always buy a used skyline and have about half of that money left over.

13. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Dogpile on the Lakland Glaub. Great P-basses.

14. Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm definitely leaning towards a Fender American Vintage '62 Precision right now, but will take a closer look at the US Lakland Bob Glaub & the Lull P4. Thanks!

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I'am P-bass nut.
    My fav. is a 1966 P-bass.
    I also dig my maple neck 1977-P. trans red. black pickguard.
    Very light for a 1977.
    In my 27 years of playing bass, I'v owned at least fifteen
    percision bass. Some great, some not so good.
    The Lakland USA Bob Glaub, is for my money the best new P-style bass on the market.
    The Sadowski Ultr-vintage is also a great bass, but costs more money than the Lakland.
    Also Bill Nash is making, some very good relic style P-basses.
    Very good for the money.

16. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I have a Sadowski NYC Precision which is fantastic, but they will weigh in at over $1500, even second hand.

If you are looking for that '60's sound, I would heartily recommend a Lakland US Bob G. which just nails that sound and will be in you range second hand.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My 0.02 on this.
    I have a brand new MIA P (w/ S1 switch) and it is simply a killer bass.
    Cheers
    Jay