1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Bass: How much tone do you dial in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by novo, Dec 29, 2015.

1. novo

novo

Feb 20, 2007
    Precision Bass: How much tone do you dial in?

I like it half way through since when I max out all the tone knob, it sounds kinda trebly.

What are yours??

Eric66 likes this.
  2. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    As a jazz bassist I like to roll the tone completely to the left for more thump. I adjust my plucking position to go for a more acoustic-like tone.

Anything else gets all the way to the right.

2cooltoolz and amusicalperson like this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    For my P with flats - Around 3/4 open. I usually play around with it, can go to about half. For certain songs (actually, only parts of songs), I roll it all the way off. I rarely ever crank it up all the way (sometimes for that old school slap tone, but even then I could roll it off a bit).
    EMG GZR pup reacts really great with the tone knob. I love getting different tones ouf of my P just with that tone control.

Eric66, TC424, Shawn Luckman and 4 others like this.
  4. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Tape wounds and a pick, wide open. It gets the semi-articulate p-bass thud pretty nicely. When playing round wounds, I usually roll it about halfway down until it starts to change dramatically, then back it off a smidge.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    R&B likes this.
  5. On the '77, gotta be tone and vol all the way up, and tickle the tone elsewhere. On the Squier, all the way up is too tinney, and better to roll off to about 7.

6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

1/2 to wide open and in between. I try and find the magic spot where the top sparkle is muted and the next spot where the mid hump shows up. :)

7. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Glad to read that people actually use the tone control! I roll it off first and then dial in until that typical p bass tone starts coming in. Leave it right there, so probably around 1/3.

8. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
    Recently started playing a P bass and I'm always finding myself messing with the tone pot to change the sound. I use more so than I ever used a tone pot for a guitar. It seems that the tone part is super important in a p bass.

Icculus likes this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    98% of the time it's wide open

10. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    Tone and volume dimed. Fingerstyle with round wounds. I like it to be fairly rude sounding when I dig in.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wide open on both volume and tone. I make (slight) adjustments with the EQ section on my amp. I also adjust technique by using fingers, a pick, my thumb with palm muting or whatever it takes to get the desired feel and tone.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    staurosjohn and MovingPitchers like this.
  12. My '58 replica has the tone all the way up. I can boost the punch with my Sansamp. With rounds it sounds very growly and aggressive. I like that tone very much. I do dial it back when I don't need that growl

13. Wow you need to teach your P some manners!!!

14. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    62RI with Fralins and 8 year old JF344s and I still like the tone knob dialed back to somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4.

Guitarodeo likes this.
  15. Mim P Bass with chromes on it. For classic and southern rock and country , tone at about 40%. For some funky stuff with a little pop , 80 to 100%.
    Same amp settings for both.

16. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Volume's almost always wide open. Tone on my J-bass is almost always wide open; on my P-bass I usually dial in 1/2 to 3/4 full with rounds and 1/2 full with flats. On either bass I do occasionally roll it all the way off when going for a deeper Pino-ish sound.

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I just bought this and it does have the extra pickup, but the tone control is very responsive. I can dial in pretty much every tone I need. I usually like it rolled off but wide open turns it into another animal entirely.
    33wprt2.jpg

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think I'm in the same school with BassmanM.

I don't look for a lot of tonal variation using the tone knob on a PBass. I just want to dial in that classic all purpose PBass sound and let my hands do the rest. Because that sound just works. Which is one of several reasons why I've come to appreciate and respect the Precision as much as I do. And that's despite my being an unrepentant and unapologetic Gibson bass player. :laugh:

In my case I'll fluctuate between 20% and 60% depending on the particular PBass. Once I find that bass's 'mojo point' I'll usually just leave it there.

Most times it's hovering roughly a third of the way up.

Icculus, Linnin and BassmanM like this.
  19. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    +1 ... my 'Geddy Lee P' (Avatar) has Roto SS Rounds & SD QP Basslines... packs a bit of punch! :D

20. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    Depends on the room. There's one place that literally sucks all the bass out of my sound. Tone has to be completely cut, plucking at the base of the neck and bass fully boosted on my preamp just to get back to normal. Other places, I like it fully open, especially when I am lucky enough to play in a well mixed setting where my harmonic content can be heard. Otherwise, I'll double-down on my fundamentals.

Fxpmusic and kohanmike like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021