Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision Bass Lyte/Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey... this is an odd question for me as I don't normally care for Fenders. But I found one of these at a local store... they're trying to get 700 for it used and I'm not sure that's an entirely fair deal. But this one looks different from others I've seen. The bridge pup looked more like a covered humbucker as opposed to a single coil and it had a 3 band pre, not a two. It was natural colored with a 22 fret neck. I REALLY liked the P pup but wasn't overwhelmed with the bridge pup. Regardless, it was comfortable and sounded pretty good to me. What do you guys know about these basses? What's their normal resale value? It was in GOOD shape, just two dings, one biggie on the back and a smaller one on the front. Anything you can tell me would be useful, thanks everyone!!

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think $700 is a little high. You can get a new Fender Zone for that (the new version of the Lyte). I've had both and the Zone is better. The P-Lyte is a good bass, but not for $700.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Excellent, I felt the exact same way. Did you have the one with what looks like a soapbar bridge pup or the single coil? I've never even seen a Zone to tell the truth, no one around bothers to stock anything but the P's and J's. Thanks Showdown!

4. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It was a single coil bridge p/u.

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ok cool, after looking at Harmony Central it seems what I found was a Precision Bass Lyte Deluxe, they had a humbucker bridge pup which was still essentially a J I guess. What would be a normal used price for one of these? It seemed so cool.

What about the Zone is better though?

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    What about the Dimension? I've never really heard anyone say squat about that or the Zone bass. Seems kinda weird since there's so many Fender enthusiasts out there.

7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    On MF (oh God, he didn't go there did he???) the Dimension and Mexi Zone basses both get rave reviews which is always cool but I've still never seen or played one. Who else makes a good P/J even? I can't think of too many.

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Better pickups, better hardware (it has the American Deluxe bridge, and real Gotoh tuners instead of knockoffs), better preamp, better wood (alder instead of basswood). Even with the alder body it is as lightweight as the Lyte.

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Are you sure you weren't playing an American Deluxe Precision? Those have a three band EQ and a bridge pickup that is actually two Jazz pups mooshed together. If so, $700 used from a store is on the high side of fine. The description you give sounds a hell of a lot like you were playing a MIA P-bass deluxe. Go to www.fender.com and have a look.

$700 is way too much for a P-bass lyte, which you should be able to find on Ebay and elsewhere for less than $400.

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Please Doc, give me SOME credit hahaha :) It was definitely a Lyte, definitely a Lyte Deluxe and definitely overpriced. Even with a bridge humbucker as opposed to the Zone's single coil the Zone sounds like a much better option as far as P/J's go. How about the Dimension? Is there any real difference between the two?

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    OK sorry. But the price and description you gave WERE consistent with a MIA deluxe P. You gotta give me that much.... :p

12. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  13. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    No worries, I was just messing with you, you're 100% right, it's essentially the same thing based on my, admittedly, sparse description. Good call Doc!

14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I saw that one earlier and I figured as much. I'll just talk to the manager and see what he/she says about it and if they won't drop it way down, which I'm sure they won't, I'll try to find a Zone or Dimension to try out. Does anyone still make a decent P/J, passive/active or one or or the other anymore? I know has these Zones, Dimensions and Deluxe P's both MIM and MIA but I want fairly authentic P sounds, that's my real key. I really want a P with a J neck and bridge pup and if it's a humbucker even better! Hence my excitement about this P-Lyte Deluxe. Thanks for all your info and help guys!

15. :cool: The MIM P-Bass Specials made up until this year were really nice passive P/J basses with a J-neck. The 2005 version is active. The Squier P-Bass Special is also a passive P/J bass with a J-neck. I know a couple of guys who have them and they really like them. But, if Squier is not your game, look for the older MIM version. You won't be disappointed.

16. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Oh I don't mean to imply I want a passive bass only... I was just curious who, and that can be anyone, makes an affordable P/J bass. I knew the new Fender P Deluxe was active but thanks for the heads up bud!

17. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I just bought one of the new MIM P-bass Deluxe Specials (see other thread) and I LOVE IT. It has as nice a fit and finish as my Lull used to--and for $500 new, you really can't go wrong. My vote for sleeper bass of the year.

18. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've been interested in one of these for so long... I loved the passive version they used to have and I was about to buy one when they switched to the active and I wasn't sure I'd like it. On the upside I went to GC tonight and they did have a Zone... and it really underwhelmed me. The J pickup was nice, had a throaty hefty tone to it I find most bridge pups lack but the P pup was really quite boring. And the action was awful, typical GC bass, and the preamp was nothing special either. All in all I wasn't anywhere near as impressed as I was by the P Lyte Deluxe the other day. But I'd definitely like to try one of the new P-Bass Deluxes Phunky! If the electronics are good it's perfect. I could always get a used passive one too I suppose. That was my plan actually, buy the used one and drop some big badass pups in there and a new bridge. We'll see what happens but thanks for the heads up.

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    My understanding is that the electronics in this bass are identical to the those Fender used in the MIA deluxe P-basses from 1996-2002, after which they changed over to the current 18v preamp. So it's a proven design...

The sound of the p-pickup with that preamp is my favorite. It simply THUNDERS--the J pickup is really there to tame the raw mids and fat lows of that P.

Definitely check one out--if you can find one on the shelf at the store, that's best. The store where I got mine had two and I liked one a lot better than the other. The maple neck sounded better. You could always get one from an internet vendor and return it if you don't totally dig it. I bet you would tho....