Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision Bass or Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Among these two bass models, which one do you prefer and why?

2. J-Bass...more tonal variety.

I like P-basses too...but J is where it's at.

Unless you play punk. Then, just like every OTHER punk bassist..get the SAME FENDER bass..that EVERY BAND uses..on EVERY SONG... *ugh* :rolleyes:

3. for me J all the way bro. i love growl

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The J-bass, but I'd dearly love it if the Fender folks created a Standard Precision Bass V.

You can also rewire a J in series to sound like a P.

5. Standard Presicion V?

Eh, if you have the money, you could get the Sadowsky version:

[​IMG]

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I vacillitate between the two, but more often than not, it's the P-Bass for me. I do love the Jazz sound and versatility, but sometimes I can't get the tone... My P never fails me... I know what I am going to get each and every time I plug it in...

-robert

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I do like the Jazz bass tone, but the Precision just does it for me. Espically since I put in DiMarzio pups into it.

8. I resent that comment about punk bassists. I play in a punk-etho outfit, and I use a J-Bass. It is possible to play punk and be a legitimate musician, you know.

9. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Thats what happens when people make sweeping generalizations,
    Even if the generalization is true for 99% of the people involved, there is still the 1% to which it doesn't apply, who will rightfully be offended.

10. Do a search, this has been done so many times over.

11. You may wish to check the "Street Fighting!" section of the NEWBIE LINKS that are posted at the top of the page. Perhaps your questions can be answered there.

By the way, who is that sexy devil who made the NEWBIE LINKS thread...? :confused:

12. I don't think your musical style is defined by the type of bass you play... like if you can't play metal without active basses or whatever...

13. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    Then all alt metal bassists play ibanez or esp?

14. Yup. All the guitarists play Les Pauls or SG's through Mesa Boogie Dual Rectumfryers too. You have to. That is soooooooo pUnK rAwK!!!!!!

Generalizations are for people too lazy and/or ignorant to try and explore new things.

I all of a sudden had a craving for a fretless. Specifically, a used Stingray 4 fretless.

Weird.

15. I know rabid granny, you can admit your intense love for john turner now, you made that pic just for him..... :eek: :eek:

:p

16. I prefer a P bass because I think the sound is a lot more unique and special. There are a lot of basses out there that can aproximate the sound of a Jazz bass, but to get that fat Presision bass tone, you really need a P bass.

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That would be why I always insert the disclaimer words, "most", "probably", or "often" when i seterotype people :p ;).

I like J's better cause "J" sounds cooler than "P"!!!!

like, "whaz sup, J?" instead of "Whas up P?"..see, much cooler! lol:)

18. Waste

Waste

Sep 16, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I've got a J bass, but sometimes it's a little too dirty for me. I like the appearance better of the Jazz but when it comes to a clearer tone, P-bass is where it's at!

19. I prefer a P bass because I think the sound is a lot more unique and special. There are a lot of basses out there that can aproximate the sound of a Jazz bass, but to get that fat Presision bass tone, you really need a P bass.

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think of it this way: The P design does one thing, and it does it very well. The J can design can do a variety of things very well, but not the P thing. So the question is whether you need to have the P thing (all sorts do, not just punks) more than anything else. That's how I look at it.