1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Bass Pickup covers - difference in size between MIA and MIJ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MichiBass, Dec 5, 2017.

1. So I have two Japanese Precision Basses, both are '62 reissues (one from 1997 and one from 2013), and I wanted to change the pickups on the one from 1997, and bought a set of Vintage ’61 P Bass from Radioshop Pickups. Unfortunately they came without pickup covers (I mean the plastic ones, not the ashtrays), and they do not find the pickup covers from both of my basses, they are a bit too long. Paul from Radioshop Pickups told me that this might be because there are differences in size between American and Japanese pickup covers. Do you think the difference is that big? If yes, will a American pickup cover fit my Japanese pickup cavity (I mean is the distance from screw to screw the same?) or even the pickguard? I want to avoid buying new covers and maybe pickups too, and realise that they do not fit my bass.

Thanks!