1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Bass Pickup Output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mag220, May 16, 2011.

1. mag220

mag220

May 16, 2011
    Hi everyone
    I've got a problem that I can't find a solution for, I've bought and had installed new pickups at a nearby shop for my mexican fender precision bass, the pickups are Original Precision Vintage, but the problem is that the output is too low, I can't find a way to boost the output, trebles are okay very clean and funky but basses are definitely too low and the whole output is weak, I have to boost my gain and volume in my amp to hear a good sound, raising the pickups doesn't help, I think that there is something with the electronics or the technician screwed something when installing the pickups. What may be the reason for such a low output and what can I do to boost it ?
    Thanks in advance and please bear in mind that I'm a newbie ;)

2. grassi55

grassi55

Apr 17, 2011
    Portland,Oregon
    it could very well be related to the wind of the pickups u bought. if theyre wound to be less output than thats what they r gonna do. im a newbie too just thought id share the small info that i do know.

3. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    yeah well it's probably not supposed to be that way, but it makes sense that it would happen to only 2 of the strings, being that it's a split P-type pickup.

so i'd say its probly something physically wrong with the pickup, take it to someone who knows whats up inside Pups....

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    How far is the pickup from the strings when you fret the highest fret on the bass? If you have more than 1/8" between the top of the pickup and the strings, it's too low, and needs to be raised up higher.