1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rimmry, Mar 30, 2015.

1. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    Should I install a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 quarter pounder on my P bass, or leave the original pickup? Or maybe even install a different pickup? :help:

2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Is there any thing wrong with the pickup that's in it?

Eric66 likes this.
  3. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    No. Just trying to improve the sound of the bass.

4. Have a listen here:
    Dropbox - Basspickups
    15 different pickups in the same bass. I think the samples were produced for some Japanese magazine and I grabbed them from another forum...

Klonk, physics, wyrdawg and 2 others like this.
  5. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    Thanks allot! I'll listen and see.

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    The spb-3 has a very love/hate relationship on here.

Quilbert likes this.
  7. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Do some research on the actual tone you're after before buying. Find out what type of magnets are used, how many turns of wire on the bobbins, polarity, output. Bear in mind that no two basses are truly identical and will sound slightly different regardless of pickups. There may be a more economical brand that will serve the purpose. Good luck.

8. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    I know what tone I want to achieve. Since with my bands we play mostly alternative rock/ punk rock/ metal, but also do allot of solo shows, in which I mostly play funky solos, and speedy stuff, i'm looking for a punchy, mid rangy and bright tone. Any ideas for another particular pickup?

9. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    What do you mean?

ed morgan likes this.
  10. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    Also, some info about my bass: An arctic white 2014 (my old one got pretty much destroyed :( ) Fender Mexican precision bass, with a maple fingerboard (and loads of stickers :D)

electracoyote likes this.
  11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Its one of those products that when you you ask about them, just as many people hate them as they love them.
    They are big and ballsy with extended lows and highs and cut mids.
    To some thats the chit.
    To others its not.

Short-scale and rimmry like this.
  12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    need to find out what kind of tone your looking for and your playing style and the gurus will chime in with better suggestions.

13. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Quarter pounder. The one in my '83 MIJ P bass sounds loud, punchy, and clear. To make it sharper still, put a set of stainless steel strings on.

rimmry likes this.
  14. Try to be sure the replacement is actually going to deliver better tone or output than what's already in there.

My only experience with the SD SPB line is, after the install, I could hear literally no difference. I wasted my time and money. Sometimes the stock PU is pretty darn good.

BTW, I have the exact bass as you described. I find mine to be pretty bright and aggressive stock. You may get better results more cheaply by trying different strings.

lowsideonacurve and rimmry like this.
  15. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    Already typed what I want my sound to be like. Check the other messages.

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you want mids I would skip the quarter pounder. It's a scooped pickup.

Plucky The Bassist and TinIndian like this.
  17. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    I am using the Rotosound Swing Bass RS66LD 45 to 105

18. divetone

divetone

Jun 25, 2012
    I was after a more traditional mid forward sound when I bought a used P bass. The Quarter Pounder thAt it came with wasn't working for me. (Too scooped, boomy lows harsh highs) I installed EMG Geezers and am a happy camper now.

19. rimmry

rimmry

May 5, 2014
    Also, I usually use my fingers. So I need it to be aggressive when i'm playing finger style. You dig?

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    EMG Geezer for vintage sound or Dimarzio Model P for juiced sound. Love Duncan pickups, not in love with the SPB-3. Good pickup but ultimately I wanted a little more mid action than it gets.