1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Precision Bass purist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mo cowbell, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mo cowbell

Mo cowbell

Mar 2, 2017
    Colorado
    A "Kleenex" is a facial tissue where I'm from.

When it comes to a Precison Bass, I think Fender. Not whatever has a body of the same dimensions as a Fender Precison....

Now, that said, allow me to take the discussion further......and this perhaps places the discussion closer to the heart of my quandary.....

I've seen "Precisions" that came equipped with a typical P pickup AND a Jazz pickup. While I understand how this may make the instrument more versatile and whatnot, should I have a hang up about this not being a true P bass?

2. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Only if that's how you would like to spend your life.

3. Mo cowbell

Mo cowbell

Mar 2, 2017
    Colorado
    I may regret posting this question if this is the first response I get. Perhaps someone else will get my meaning,

gebass6 and LowActionHero like this.
  4. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    It's one of those questions that only you can answer. I don't consider PJ basses to be "tr00" Precision Basses but that's just me.

Mo cowbell and alesreaper9 like this.
  5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Only a 35" 5-string PJ is a true Precision to me. But then again, I am a purist.

Mvilmany, chadds, Munjibunga and 26 others like this.
  6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think true is a word that is an overreach. Fender owns the right to make that decision.

I think considering your ideal of a Precision bass to be a traditional, classic, standard, regular, or whatever you want to call it is an apt description so long as it allows for the superset of all Precision basses to exist without calling into question the authenticity of non-traditional Precisions.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    No.

TomB, IGotGas, BlueAliceOasis and 7 others like this.
  8. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    NY
    Well, I have the Tony Franklin Sig, which while fretless, I'd say get's closer to pure than your average PJ because the toggle switch solos the P pup rather than muting the J pup like with a balance pot/VVT style. Maybe?

No matter the case a PJ is at its soul a P. Hence the Elite series are still P basses.

9. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Up until the 1980 introduction of the Precision Special it was just the Precision Bass. I modified my '77 with a Jazz pickup and I felt that it ruined the bass. Part of the problem was the tech located the pickup too close to the bridge. My fault for not knowing that he was a Coke head.

I own 4 Precision basses. 1973 Fretless, 1973 Fretted, 1983 Squier JV and a 1992 MIJ '62 reissue. They all have only the Precision Bass pickup in them.

10. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Whether or not a "true" P-Bass is equipped with a J pickup is laughably inconsequential and will not improve, expand, or refine your musical ability in any way.

This is an absolutely perfect TalkBass topic!

11. Is it a true Precision bass? Interesting. I suppose, in my thoughts, that it is if you turn the J pup off. Other than that, it is a PJ Bass. I have a Jazz Bass with a Jazz pup in the bridge position and a P bass pup. I am now totally bumfuzzeled trying to figure out if its a Jazz or a Pbass, even though it has a Jazz body and neck, and a P pup.

I have decided to enjoy it whatever it is.....

12. lowplaces

lowplaces Needs Mo Motown and Stax Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Does it have to have Fullerplast to be a true precision bass ?

(Showing myself the door):laugh:

13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    My first thought on reading the OP was...
    not-sure-if-trolling.

14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    You answer it in your original post. You only think fender when you think precision. So anything that is a "fender precision" is a true precision for you. Sadly, fender isn't as precise on their "precisions" as what you muster in your mind.

Examples.... Precision special, older precision American deluxe with dual coil, newer precision American deluxe with jazz, precision elite 2 with precision in the bridge spot....I'm sure they have more, those are just the only genuine "fender precisions" that come to mind.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Mo cowbell and Sartori like this.
  15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Best damn PJ ever made IMO, but I guess it really does boil down to the isolated switching that other PJ's typically don't use.

joebar likes this.
  16. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Beats me. I have 2 "P" basses. One a Japanese copy from the early 80s of unknown provenance, the other a warmoth, with a J neck. It's just easier to say P.

There are, of course, some sort of philosophical questions about what determines a bass model, particularly with Fender. My brother has a fender Power Jazz, which is essentially a modernized P body, J ish neck, and PJ pickups. Go figure

GrantR and Mo cowbell like this.
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    A Precision with a Jazz Pickup is not a Precision. It's a P/J

18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    You should let fender know, they have been labeling them wrong for decades.

I've owned straight precisions, pj's with three-way switches, and pj's with two volumes. When the precision pickup is soloed, the difference is miniscule and only serves to give birth to silly internet squabbles about pot resistance, blah, blah, blah. Solo'd, they all sound the same, given same location.

19. BigEarl

BigEarl Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, TX
    PJs are an abomination to the Precision Bass of Fender. If you want a Precision, you get a split humbucker. If you want a Jazz, you get two single coils. If you want confusion you get a PJ setup.

C'mon, man, pick a side!
    :D

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Or it really just sounds like poo to people who aren't you when there isn't isolated switching.