Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jul 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A friend of mine has an early-'90s P-Bass Special in candy apple red with matching headstock. It has a standard split-coil pickup, three knobs (volume, bass, and treble, IIRC) and a switch. I haven't the slightest idea what this switch is supposed to do. Does anyone have one of these basses, and if so could they tell me what this switch does?

2. Doesn't the bass have a J pickup in the bridge position? I thought that was part of the special designation. I just took possession of a 93 Precision Plus Special that has a P/J arrangement with only 2 stack knobs and no switch. One of the knobs has a center detent that I think is a pickup pan. If yours doesn't have 2 pickups, it could be a phase switch.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. Dude, is the E string post on the headstock of that bass as close to the flared contour as it appears in the photo? It looks like it to me. If it is, is that an error?

[This message has been edited by Hambone (edited July 13, 2000).]

5. Mr. Barr, that is exactly what it looks like. Any info on it?

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    If you look real close at the photo you will see that they (this is not my photo) draped a white sheet over a standard wall hanger so the part of the hanger that hold the bass is covered with the sheet and give the appearance of a smaller headstock with the E string tuner too close to the edge.

These are the P-Bass Special Models that were made from 1980 to 1983 and featured gold hardware, matching headstocks, active electronics (mini toggle is an active/passive defeat switch) and were available in Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue, White and in a solid Walnut. If you have a copy of Blasquiz's "Fender Bass Book" you'll see a great 2 page color photo of a white one.

Values on these have been around $750-$900 but I've seen very clean ones sell as high as $1,100. Nice basses...I dig em! One day I'd like to have one of each of the 4 color options! [​IMG]

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    ps "Kid"...I see you are in Ithaca NY...great town! I grew up in Rochester but both my brothers went to IC many years ago. I hung around Ithaca quite a bit throughout the 70's. Is "The Haunt" still the best live rock club in town and does "Joe's" still have the best pizza?

If I'm not mistaken former Bass Player Magazine Editor, Jim Roberts now lives in Ithaca. Great town...love it!

8. I wish I were still in Ithaca; I'm home for the summer in Illinois, taking a linear algebra class so I don't, um, DIE this fall. I'm an EE major at Cornell. The Haunt is still the best club in town, and Joe's is the best restaurant--period. (Or are you talking about Little Joe's, which has damn good pizza?)

My friend picked up that bass dirt-cheap; unfortunately, the output jack needs replacing and the pots need cleaning. I will have him take it to a tech.

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    pics?

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    necroing an 8 year old thread ftw. :hyper: the op of this thread hasn't even been on tb in over a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.