1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hookha, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    why the precision called like that?

and I heard that a precision pickups its more for FAT SOUND than the Jazzbass picups it is true?

2. The story I hear is that the fretted neck allowed for more precise notes over fretless double basses. Thus the name "Precision".

3. I also believe P basses have a meatier tone than J's.
    Jazzes have a ringier or twangier tone.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "The story I hear is that the fretted neck allowed for more precise notes over fretless double basses. Thus the name "Precision"."

+1 .... I copied this from a guitar history website.....

"The Precision model was so-named due to its fretted fingerboard, which allowed the player to play in tune “with precision.” This design revolutionized bass playing, as well as making the singing bassist possible as playing the double bass while singing was almost impossible, particularly with the microphones of the time. "

5. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    scourge is correct on both counts. The P has a sound that's hard to find with any other instrument.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Actually you can be more precise on a fretless.

7. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    Thanks guys
    I have a fretless
    so i gonna build a bass
    I want a fat sound
    so it well be better If i put a precision pickups close to the neck and a Jazzbass pickups near the bridge?
    that give to me a fat sound?

one more question:
    which sound curved pickups give me?