1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Basses With a Neck Pickup Added

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SonnyBassPlayer, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    As the title goes, I am curious to see some P basses with an added neck pickup, custom or stock.

My curiosity came after looking for info about the Vintage Hot Rod P bass (PJ), and this video popped out, showing a P bass with a Tv Johnes Thundertron and a Thunderblade

I later stumbled upon this custon P which has a Rick toaster at the neck.

2162bbd5af8b733083fc2c3e8786a407.

And of course we all know this one.
    maxresdefault.

I realized that the middle+bridge pickup configuration is way more common than a middle+neck pickup.
    Is there any specific reason for this?
    Is it because the Jazz bass has layered the sonic reference for dual pickups basses?
    Is it because the Rickenbackers have monopolized the mid+neck sound?
    Is it because the '57 P is too pure to be modified other than adding a J pickup?
    Is it because carrots?

This could become another thread so I'll stick to my point: I'd love to see P basses with mid+neck configurations. It doesn't really matter which pickups (P+P, P+J, Tv+Tv) but I love the '57 design so yeah..

Also, why would you / would you not like a bass like this?
    I saw some pictures here on TB so some owners are here. I'd also love to hear soundclips if possible.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    PawleeP likes this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    For most people a pickup in that location is a mud factory.
    Most people prefer how pickups in the P and J locations sound.
    There's nothing more complicated than that going on.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This about sums it up. Think of the old Gibsons, far from know for their clarity. That spot adds lots of depth and bass to a bass' sound, but that's about it. Looks hella cool though, that black P is beautiful.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's called the Dimension Deluxe.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The Dimension Deluxe has middle and bridge pickups. No neck pickup.
    The rear coil on the front pickup on a DD is in exactly the same spot as the front pickup on a Jazz.

6. P. Aaron

The tone I get out of my Dimension Deluxe 5 is a boosted Precision V tone. Very percussive but deeper.

If one doesn't want to carve up a Precision.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    This thread is about neck pickups.

8. Years ago that was the thing to do, people wanted a lot of bottom so it was common to add an EB-0 pickup to a P bass at the neck. I traded a Tele bass for a fretless P bass in 1977 and it had an EB-o pickup at the neck. I never tried it that way as the owner wanted it and took it out of the bass when we traded. Other pickups were used but I think the EB-0 pickup was the most common. Mel Schactor of Grand Funk added an EB-0 pickup to a Jazz when that mid pickup had been and unhooked the bridge pickup and played it like that and it sounded great. Berry Oakley added a Guild pickup to his Jazz and you know how that sounded, so it wasn't only done to P basses.

9. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Thanks for all the replies!

My curiosity is aimed at P basses especially because of them being my favourite model, also it's really had to find pictures of those very basses in that configuration.
    I imagine a PJ has a more known clear and appreciated tone.
    Sorry if the post seems weird, I got a cold I'm bores and really irrelevant questions come to me.

10. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I share your curiosity and like the sound of the ones I've heard.

SonnyBassPlayer likes this.
  11. P. Aaron

Aw gee, sorry for intruding into your safe space with an opinion.

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You didn't post an opinion. You posted the name of a bass that doesn't have a neck pickup in a thread about neck pickups.

If you were trying to post an opinion you failed at that.

Then, after being informed that you were off topic, you posted again about what your no neck pickup having bass sounds like.

Now you're projecting some other argument I'm sure you've had with other people in another forum onto me for calling you out on being off topic again.

13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Didn't the Fender 'Modern Player' line have a pup right up against the fretboard?

14. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    While I don't have any experiences with p bases that have neck pickups I have played a couple of basses with a neck pickup (most notably the musicman big al) and I've found that I typically prefer a neck pickup to most bridge pickups. A neck pickup will have a bassist sound than a bridge pickup but it doesn't have to be super muddy. The Gibson mud bucker pickups would be muddle sounding anywhere you put them.

15. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    I find doing the middle/neck sound works if you use the Sheehan/Ric-O-Sound stereo amp route; having the middle pickup provide an aggressive midrangey sound, and the neck provide the clean, deep lows. Being sent to 2 different amps. Although a solo'd Ric sure is a tone monster.

The Bridge/Middle route works best when you have one amp. Having that bridge and middle pickup blended and sent to a single amp just sounds right.

PawleeP likes this.
  16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ps have a great tone - the thing that is missing for some is upper range definition. I think adding more bottom (neck) without high end would just be mud.

17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    here! Blue-ish northern ash HPJ. a living nightmare to wire up, nk pups inherently have massive bottom end..

bearfoot likes this.
  18. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I play a hollowbody with two humbuckers, and a P/J.

The humbuckers are HOT, for one thing. These is on a cheap "beatle" style bass , although not a violin. Same electronics. The neck humbucker WILL fart out the speaker , at settings the P/J never would.

I've gotten recorded tones off that neck humbucker that are amazing. Profound, check-your-pants fundamentals. It "sits in a mix" in a way a P-bass never could, creating a thick underpinning. I don't like distortion of low end at all, but I guess I love mud. Tasteful mud, dialed in. Like a Tiramisu.

I think that with such a pickup, you need a speaker cabinet that can handle it, or - blasphemy, I know- dial back the bass.

Combined with a P-pickup, I suspect the potential for distortion will be much greater, but if you dial it in, incomparable tone. Go for it!