1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Bodies and Necks Musical Chairs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lax4bags, Oct 29, 2013.

1. lax4bags

lax4bags Supporting Member

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    Here is my hairbrained plan.

Currently I own a Road Worn Precision '57

I just bought a 1986 Candy Apple Red MIJ E series Precision

I just bought a 1982 Bullet Deluxe

I am planning on selling the RW neck (too thin for how wide it is)
    and selling the bullet body (it has been refinished at some point)

I want to put the rosewood E series neck on the RW body and have a '62 p bass (changing anodized gold pickguard to tort)

Then the bullet neck on the CAR E series body.

It this totally nuts? will it require too much routing and or shimming etc. to work out with acceptable action?

Thanks to all input as I am not a setup ace and will be getting a pro to do these things.

2. charismaticdog

charismaticdog

Aug 2, 2012
    No clue if it'll need shims, but kind of interested in that rw neck if you sell it.

3. lax4bags

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    Ok you got dibs

4. lax4bags

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've swapped MIA, MIJ Squier/Bullet necks around before(even MIK) and it's hit or miss. Ultimately I'd have to say that when it comes to MIJ Fenders and Squiers the OE neck is usually tough to beat...they're seldom bad and the fit/finish is always very good.

I've never dabbled in MIM stuff. You should report your findings and post pics.

6. lax4bags

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    My bullet bass came in and it definitely does not fit on my roadwornn p body. The neck pocket is too shallow for the bullet neck.