1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision convert

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeVictim, Apr 27, 2010.

1. I got my SX PJ, more P than J (neck and body8 are Precision dimensions with just a single coil at the bridge), last year for Father's Day. Well, it's been such a great sounding instrument. I felt like after playing it for almost a year, I have some good experience in being able to judge it now. Being a Jazz player exclusively since I started playing bass, 14 years ago, I find my Jazz sounding thin and tiny. But, I find my SX neck being pretty big. My hand actually cramps up after playing it for a while.

I have heard only a P sounds like a P, so is there a bass that captures that great tone but doesn't have the wide neck? At what point do you sacrifice comfort for tone?

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The Lakland Duck Dunn model. It is, essentially, a P-bass with a Jazz neck. Played side-by-side with a Fender MIM Classic 50s and Fender Am. Std., it was more of a polite and refined P-bass than the Fenders. I prefer the more ballsy, in-your-face tone of the Fenders.

But, at the end of the day, to some, feel is more important than tone, and the Duck Dunn has one of the nicest feeling necks I've ever played on a P-style bass. The tone isn't bad on it either, just not aggressive enough for my liking.

3. Same problem here. I have bilateral tendenosis and have found the Jazz neck most forgiving (in the Fender line). If you want a PJ there are a fair amount made with Jazz type necks. Although passive seems a little harder to find. As far as a straight P goes there are fewer choices with thinner necks. They're out there if one is flexible as far as brand. You may not have to sacrifice comfort for tone. Good Luck.

4. Have you tried an SX P at all? I love the tone of my stock SX...didn't really expect to say that, this was suppossed to be a bass to mod. I can't say how it compare to Fender's product, it's been too long since I have played a "Fender". I have heard people say that the neck dimensions also help the final tone, not sure how true that is.

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just put a Jazz size neck on it.

;)

As for new basses, Fender makes a Deluxe P that is a PJ with a Jazz neck IIRC.

EDIT TO ADD PIC -

p30978h-cfba52dd6a7be965c74e9b4d080916bb.

6. I solo the P pickup so the J pickup is irrelevant. I don't really care for both pups going. I grabbed this bass when Rondo was clearancing out their old stock before the dreaded headstock change. Old headstock FTW! ;)

7. Dark Horse,
    I would rather have a passive bass. Not sure what neck will fit the neck pocket but maintain the Jazz width. Has anyone done this mod to an SX? What neck did you use? Is the consensus to just buy something else?

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

P Bass and J Bass have the same heel width.

Measure the dimensions of your SX neck pocket and compare to a Fender neck pocket. I;ve done a zillion neck swaps...main thing is checking the dimensions, as some SX Basses have slightly different dimensions than Fender, Warmoth, etc.
    Also keep in mind that if if the dimensions match up, there might be a slight amount of adjustment involved for "best fit".

Fender - (and Fender Licensed stuff)

neck_pocket_bneck.

9. Another option for those with hand/finger problems, which is a bit counterintuitive, is to go with a reissue AV Precision with the wider 1.75" nut. It's a wider but flatter neck, so you can play with a very relaxed hand.

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I know what you are saying. There is something about the SX neck i didnt like on my P bass i had from them a few years back. I have now got used to P necks and have no problems at all. I have an early 90's Squier P bass special i modded that is P/J and has a jazz neck. Its a real sweet bass but the neck is fast and i have to adjust to it each time i pick it up after playing the chunky standard P necks for so long. Quite a diffrent feel for sure and I will bet you will like the feel when you get used to it.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Good point.They are wide but the thinness make them quite easy to play.

12. I've played mine for a year (almost), how long til I get used to it? How do they compare tone wise?

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I love the Squier P-Bass Special. P-Bass with added Jazz p/u and Jazz neck.

14. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Easy. Go find an old Peavey Fury. Precision bass, jazz neck. Out of production now, but great sound.

Sold as a starter bass...nothing further from the truth. Up til the mid '90's, made in the US.

Very cheap to find, but may require some tweaking to get into shape. Got mine for $75.00 in a pawnshop. In the middle of a refinish, but only because I don't like black basses.

15. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Buy an SX Jazz. Add a pot to get series/parallel. When you put a Jazz in series and adjust the relative pup heights right, you get a reasonable P sound.

If you really, really, just don't like the Jazz body/pup config, THEN just swap necks and sell the Jazz... or keep it as a backup.

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    squiers002.

17. I've been playing a Squier Affinity P-Bass as my main bass for about a year and half now. After all that time, the neck feels really slim. When I try to play a Jazz, the neck causes problems for my hand. You could always just get a P-Bass body and Jazz Bass neck; seperates (already painted/loaded) pop up on eBay all the time!

18. Looks like I know what I have to do now. Thanks TB!