1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision + J vs Precision + HB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Nov 15, 2010.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I noticed that the old American Deluxe P-Basses had an almost MM-style humbucker in the rear.

The new ones all have a J pickup in the bridge position.

Some people swear by the humbucker, but I have a buddy who owns a Fender Tony Franklin fretted and that is one of the best basses I've ever heard.

Has anyone played both before? What's the difference in tone and what do you prefer?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I'm not sure about the 4 strings, but the old ADPVs had the Bill lawrence inspired PU the was first introduced on the Roscoe Becks. It didn't have the the series/par switch, but it was otherwise the same. I believe the four string is similar.

Those pickups sound GREAT. I owned both and RBV and an ADPV, and they sounded great.

Although, tonally, I wouldn't expect the new ones to be significantly different. At least not as would be attributed to the PUs. In A PJ config, unless you are favoring the bridge of course, the meat of the tone comes off the P PU. The J is there for texture and mid-presence.

Further, even though the J PU in the new ones has the size/shape of a single coil, I'd be very surprised if it is not a hum-cancelling PU as well. Otherwise, you'd have a pretty noisy bass.

3. HB near the bridge to me is much brighter and fuller sounding than a jazz pickup. Though, I find there's an appealing little gap in the tone of having a jazz pickup at the bridge.

I've had this setup 3 different ways, a plain old humbucker, many P-J configs, and my current schecter that has a humbucker with a coil tap. Gotta say, I like the coil tap option best, but I do tend to leave it running both coils 99% of the time.

4. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Time to blow some minds..............

P+splittable humbucker?!?

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Schecter Diamond Series P Custom.

6. Yep, after MANY Fender P-J configs, the Schecter is the best one I've laid my hands on. Though from what I've read on it, I definitely got my hands on a Tuesday bass, not a Friday afternoon post-liquid lunch bass.

7. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Hmmmm... Interesting.

Those Schecters are very reasonably priced too. I've seen one with a P / Humbucker configuration that was in immaculate shape for about $400.

8. honest abe

honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Audio Engineer for Marcos Witt
    I've owned both although not at the same time. I agree with Chasarms in that it is not a huge difference in tone. But the humbucker equipped P sounded a bit rounder where as the one with the jazz had more mid growl. I liked the newer preamp better as it sounded more natural to my ears and the active/passive option with tone made it much more versatile. The bridge pickup on the new ones is humcancelling as well.

9. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I didn't think about the J being humbucking as well, but you are probably right. I'll need to go on Fender's site to get the specs on it.

The same friend that owns the Tony Franklin also has a Roscoe Beck. I'll have to ask him about those.

I hear the Beck's are great instruments.

10. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

Sep 29, 2009
    queensbury ny
    i think that fender with the bucker is kind of sexy, i saw one in an old musicians friend or ams catalog a few years ago. i love a humbucker in the bridge position, i think it gives a better sound with more charater. my current rebuild project bass is gonna get a triple coil in the bridge with a p at the neck. cant wait to be able to afford it. : )

11. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

It's an N3 noiseless pickup in the bridge...just looked it up.

Kind of P's me off (no P-un intended) that they did away with the Bridge bucker in the Deluxe P 5 altogether, and now they killed it in the 4. I think the DP-V was the sexiest P they ever made!

12. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    +1

Yeah, that's the main reason I started the thread. I couldn't understand why Fender would stop making it with the big humbucker in the rear.

But the biggest thing I can't understand is why the heck they stopped making the 5-string version. Those were some of the most badass basses ever created:

1840_2006_Fender_Precision_Deluxe800x600_1.

13. honest abe

honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Audio Engineer for Marcos Witt

Sales.....

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I prefer the normal J - in part because I like the other changes they made to the "Deluxe" offering... in part because I thought the HB p'up they used was *ugly*, and the traditional "PJ" look seems *right* to me. I've played both, I prefer the new one.

By the way - there was a time when the "Deluxe" was called the "Plus" - I had one of those, years ago. They were a passive PJ with lace sensor p'ups. Good basses...

15. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, you're right - that's really the only logical reason a manufacturer would stop making an instrument. But those 5's just seem so awesome, I don't get why they didn't sell.

Not sure when Fender stopped making the 5, but there seem to be more and more 5 string players nowadays. Maybe they'll consider releasing them again in the future - if the economy ever gets better. :(

16. Chasarms

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA

There's a thread here discussing this very question. And, I agree. I personally would argue that the ADPV is the best five string bass Fender has ever built. In fact, having owned both, I think it is a better fiver than the Roscoe Beck V, which is the more widely accepted answer to the question of "Fender's best five ever?"

The one I had:

IMG_3900.

17. phillipkregg

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Dude. That is a KILLER bass! Do you still have it?

18. Chasarms

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    No. I had that one and an RBV, and also an American Standard JV. I sold all of the Fender stuff. I tend to flip gear a lot.