Precision-Jazz config vs. Jazz-MusicMan config

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dmaki, Nov 23, 2000.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm thinking of building a bass out of parts, probably from Warmoth, and I'm wondering what pickup config to get. I'm trying to decide between a P-J config and a J-MM config. With the P-J, I have essentially a P-bass with an extra jazz pickup. However, with the J-MM config, I have a MM which can be in series, parallel or single coil, and when in single coil with the extra J pickup, it would be just like having a jazz bass. Soooo, the big question is, which one should I go with? Let me know what you think...

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

If I were you, I would try and find a Hot Rod P-Bass at a local store. It has the P-J config you are talking about. Since Warmoth necks are fairly similar in shape to a '62 (I think) Fender neck, you can probably get a decent simulation of what you are thinking about building.

Also, if you are into a slap/pop style of playing, the MM/J config might work better than a P/J, IMHO. I don't see too many slappers using a P pickup, but I could be overlooking people.

Hope that helps a little.
  3. You could try a P/MM configuration. I played the new Fender MIA Deluxe P which has a humbucker in the bridge, and I thought it sounded pretty hip, especially for rock or punk type music.
  4. Hi,
    I think the pick-up(s) position on the body [just an inch fraction towards the neck or the bridge] is even more important than the type of pu.
  5. on the P-bass I'm building from Warmoth parts I've got an EMG select P-pickup and a Kent Armstrong double Jazz pickup at the bridge with a series/parallel/single coil select switch. (like the Fender Deluxe Precision but with the bridge p/up moved closer to the neck so the bridge coil is where a jazz bass bridge p/up would be). it seems to get P and J sounds, and also a pretty good MM stingray- like sound from the bridge p/up run in parallel.
    I think fender should include a coil splitting switch on the Precision Deluxe as standard.