1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Precision-Jazz config vs. Jazz-MusicMan config

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dmaki, Nov 23, 2000.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I'm thinking of building a bass out of parts, probably from Warmoth, and I'm wondering what pickup config to get. I'm trying to decide between a P-J config and a J-MM config. With the P-J, I have essentially a P-bass with an extra jazz pickup. However, with the J-MM config, I have a MM which can be in series, parallel or single coil, and when in single coil with the extra J pickup, it would be just like having a jazz bass. Soooo, the big question is, which one should I go with? Let me know what you think...

Thanks,
    David

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey,

If I were you, I would try and find a Hot Rod P-Bass at a local store. It has the P-J config you are talking about. Since Warmoth necks are fairly similar in shape to a '62 (I think) Fender neck, you can probably get a decent simulation of what you are thinking about building.

Also, if you are into a slap/pop style of playing, the MM/J config might work better than a P/J, IMHO. I don't see too many slappers using a P pickup, but I could be overlooking people.

Hope that helps a little.

3. You could try a P/MM configuration. I played the new Fender MIA Deluxe P which has a humbucker in the bridge, and I thought it sounded pretty hip, especially for rock or punk type music.

4. Hi,
    I think the pick-up(s) position on the body [just an inch fraction towards the neck or the bridge] is even more important than the type of pu.

5. on the P-bass I'm building from Warmoth parts I've got an EMG select P-pickup and a Kent Armstrong double Jazz pickup at the bridge with a series/parallel/single coil select switch. (like the Fender Deluxe Precision but with the bridge p/up moved closer to the neck so the bridge coil is where a jazz bass bridge p/up would be). it seems to get P and J sounds, and also a pretty good MM stingray- like sound from the bridge p/up run in parallel.
    I think fender should include a coil splitting switch on the Precision Deluxe as standard.