1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision or Jazz...and more

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I hope I'm not repeating a question, but I would like to ask the main differences in the Fender American Standard Precision and Jazz bass. I know the pickups are different but what about the sound and the way they play?
    I play different types of music like country, both old and new, southern rock, r&b, classic rock.....
    Do you think the jazz or precision would be better suited for these styles of music?
    Just to let you know I play a Geddy right now. I know the precision's neck is a little thicker than the jazz but I do have a MIM Jazz that I play sometimes, I imagine it's a little closer to the precision's neck.
    I'm hoping to go try both basses in a maple fretboard tomorrow after work or Saturday. I just thought I'd get some feedback. Thanks.
    Btw, does anyone one know of a place that has pick guards for the new 08's?

2. the american standard series are both killer basses. It depends what you want. I have the jazz and find it quite versatile, even playing rock/grunge. But if you want that classic P bass sound, go for the P. Jazz will probably suit more styles IMO, but I guess its how you use the bass, and if a P bass feels and sounds better to you-go for it.

3. Generally, the P has more midrange, while the J has more top.

Versatility is down to the user. They feel the same to me (the fingerboard widths don't make too much of a difference), but what do I know?

4. Brian Reading

Brian Reading

Nov 20, 2007
    Houston
    Your MIM Jazz's neck still doesn't really compare to a standard p-bass neck. You should really go try a P-bass out somewhere if you can. For me, I can't stand the wideness of that neck. But to each their own...

5. Shtick?

6. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Orange County
    I am going through a situation like this I recently played an original 1966 fender P-bass in mint condition. I was recording an EP and it was the producers he is an accomplished bass player and he just didn't like the bells and whistles of my Ibanez Soundgear 905. I played his 66 P and was blown away. I have been trying to decide on either a p or a J and and if I go for the J. Do I get the deluxe? I don't want the Deluxe P I think it is just a little much. I recently played a 07 American Std P White with a Maple Board and I found it to be very awesome and it had a great slap tone. I would have to go in and play it some more to see what else it could handle but I guess I am trying to say is that for someone who is not really a fender person. I like the new 07 and 08's IMO

7. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Sounds to me like you actually are a Fender person who is resisting the idea of being a Fender person (whatever that is!). :)

8. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Orange County
    I guess, :)

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    The Deluxe versions have active preamps (plus the P Deluxe has a bridge humbucker). The preamps give them extra sonic versatility but IMO they can't cop the exact tones of the passive American Standards.

If you like the sound of a passive Precision, go for it. I've been playing 20+ years and have always wanted a passive American Precision. The new '08's are making it REAL hard to resist!

10. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Orange County
    The P bass I played was an 07

11. :smug:I have a new American Standard Jazz V and I play all kinds of different music; it covers it all just great.

12. i give up trying to reverse engineer this stuff. P sounds like a P. Nothing else sounds like a passive P. Must be the neck, wood, pickup design and location. I have an EBMM Bongo that I can "sorta make" sound like a P, but it's not a P.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021