Precision or Jazz...and more

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I hope I'm not repeating a question, but I would like to ask the main differences in the Fender American Standard Precision and Jazz bass. I know the pickups are different but what about the sound and the way they play?
    I play different types of music like country, both old and new, southern rock, r&b, classic rock.....
    Do you think the jazz or precision would be better suited for these styles of music?
    Just to let you know I play a Geddy right now. I know the precision's neck is a little thicker than the jazz but I do have a MIM Jazz that I play sometimes, I imagine it's a little closer to the precision's neck.
    I'm hoping to go try both basses in a maple fretboard tomorrow after work or Saturday. I just thought I'd get some feedback. Thanks.
    Btw, does anyone one know of a place that has pick guards for the new 08's?

2. the american standard series are both killer basses. It depends what you want. I have the jazz and find it quite versatile, even playing rock/grunge. But if you want that classic P bass sound, go for the P. Jazz will probably suit more styles IMO, but I guess its how you use the bass, and if a P bass feels and sounds better to you-go for it.

3. Generally, the P has more midrange, while the J has more top.

Versatility is down to the user. They feel the same to me (the fingerboard widths don't make too much of a difference), but what do I know?

4. Brian Reading

Brian Reading

Nov 20, 2007
    Houston
    Your MIM Jazz's neck still doesn't really compare to a standard p-bass neck. You should really go try a P-bass out somewhere if you can. For me, I can't stand the wideness of that neck. But to each their own...

5. Shtick?

6. kph24

kph24 Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Inland Empire
    I am going through a situation like this I recently played an original 1966 fender P-bass in mint condition. I was recording an EP and it was the producers he is an accomplished bass player and he just didn't like the bells and whistles of my Ibanez Soundgear 905. I played his 66 P and was blown away. I have been trying to decide on either a p or a J and and if I go for the J. Do I get the deluxe? I don't want the Deluxe P I think it is just a little much. I recently played a 07 American Std P White with a Maple Board and I found it to be very awesome and it had a great slap tone. I would have to go in and play it some more to see what else it could handle but I guess I am trying to say is that for someone who is not really a fender person. I like the new 07 and 08's IMO

7. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Sounds to me like you actually are a Fender person who is resisting the idea of being a Fender person (whatever that is!). :)

8. kph24

kph24 Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Inland Empire
    I guess, :)

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    The Deluxe versions have active preamps (plus the P Deluxe has a bridge humbucker). The preamps give them extra sonic versatility but IMO they can't cop the exact tones of the passive American Standards.

If you like the sound of a passive Precision, go for it. I've been playing 20+ years and have always wanted a passive American Precision. The new '08's are making it REAL hard to resist!

10. kph24

kph24 Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Inland Empire
    The P bass I played was an 07

11. :smug:I have a new American Standard Jazz V and I play all kinds of different music; it covers it all just great.

12. i give up trying to reverse engineer this stuff. P sounds like a P. Nothing else sounds like a passive P. Must be the neck, wood, pickup design and location. I have an EBMM Bongo that I can "sorta make" sound like a P, but it's not a P.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022