Precision or jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    What do you think is better for punk/soft rock n pop? the fender standard mim j- bass or p-bass?Also anyone here ever heard of the Hartke wk4 bass?
  2. well, (between the P and the J)for punk the P is looked upon as the better choice (blink 182) ;) , but in rock, pop, and every other style the jazz's versatility will win over many other basses. as for the harkte, from what ive heard the fenders will beat it out any day.
  3. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Actually Mark(blink) uses p-basses and jazz basses, but his jazzes have p-bass pickups.

4. PLay both and you decide, for strictly punk, get the p, but for all the forementioned styles, the j will be the better pick. But dont worry, youll get the other one eventually.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Id recomend the Jazz, greater tonal options than the P has, I dont play punk, but even if i did id still go with a Jazz, but thats just me.
  6. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Personally, I'd say go for a Jazz, as they are a lot more versatile than a Precision. But then, I've recently spend £700 on a P-Bass... :rolleyes:
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The Precision has been in my stable for more years than I care to count but that affair started when I saw Entwistle with one in `67.

If the mix of pop and soft rock songs you are required to play or like to play is significant, I'd say go Jazz by all means.
  8. Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey, Thanks for all the advice, guys. I think i will buy the jazz bass now, but i am very scared at the fit n finish of this bass n its durability. I heard it hums terribly. Also is the cort curbow 4 any good.....wut kinda music could dat play?
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The hum is just inherent to the design and should occur ONLY if you have just one pickup turned up. They're single coil pups that are polarized and coil-phased opposite..When you combine the two, they act as a giant humbucker. Leo was a tricky guy.