Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision or Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by offspring fan, Mar 17, 2002.

what bass do u like?

Poll closed May 6, 2002.
  1. Fender p-bass

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Fender jazz bass

55 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. offspring fan

offspring fan Guest

Mar 9, 2002
    England
    what bass do u think is the best bass out of the fender p-bass or the fender jazz bass

2. Uhm.. doesn't this belong in " basses "

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    It all depends.
    Doc

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Already in diapers, Doc? ;) :D

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have a Jazz, but I want a Precision too. I try not to compare things that are not alike and these are definately different tools. If you want to know which I like better...

Neither. I like em both the same.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    WUWATCN?

moved.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I voted P-Bass but, as some other guys said, it really depends on what kind of sound and neck you want.

My P-bass vote is thus related to my very own personal taste.

All the best,

8. Personally, I prefer P-bass, because I really love the P-bass tone, but I also like the Jazz. After I get my MIM P I'll probably go for a Jazz as well.

9. I really want a P-bass...especially after trying the Fender '62 re-issue. Is there such a thing as a 5 string Precision that doesn't sound like heck? So many I've tried do.....Fender actives are funky, no, I mean REALLY.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    After playing both for several years, I prefer the P to the J.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Both are great basses. I gotta vote Jazz, based on my preferences, although I have a lot of adimiration for the P.

12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I wish to be more specific about my P-Bass vote.

I love deep low end, coloured by a subtle dose of high end. The P-Bass seems to me to be better than the J-Bass for that kind of sound work.

And the AM Deluxe Precision Bass, in my own taste, is really awesome :

[​IMG]

Gonna have a try of it (and many others) on Tuesday at a local dealer's shop... I'll give you my impressions.

All the best,

13. Its really hard........I like the jazz bass a ton. But P bass always has a special place in my heart. Frankly, I like P basses with Jazz necks, p necks aren't so good for me.

14. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I vote for the P-Bass I like the neck better and the low end thump. Ever Jazz Bass I owned I tried to make sound like a P-Bass . I think because I started on a P- Bass I always found the Jazz neck
    to narrow at the Nut (But most People Like that feature of the Jazz) . They are both cool though.

15. I considered that model as well...Fender active stuff has a very bad reputation. Part of the P-tone is most likely that passive vibe,no? If you can, compare the bass to any other Precisions booting around, passive one, and let us know?

16. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Mad Subwoofer : I _SHALL_ do.

But the problem is that there is no MIA 5-string P-Bass except this one. And the passive electronics are not switchable on this model.

I've been a long-time 4-string addict, but since I more and more wish to experiment with infra-low frequencies, a 5-string is becoming an interesting idea to me.

Anyway, I'll keep you informed about all of my investigations.

All the best,

17. That'd be great, thanks. Just compare it if you can to any 4 string P-bass...just to hear the diff in tone between the Deluxe model and any other decent Precision bass. Those re-isuues are very good. Some of the cheaper P-basses don't sound good at all IMO.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    P.

19. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Mad Subwoofer : the dealer I will visit on Tuesday is a BIG Fender authorized dealer in my region. He has many Fender's in stock, and I guess it won't be a problem to make the ultimate comparison :

AM Precision Bass vs. AM Deluxe Precision Bass

For a good comparison, I'll have to use the Deluxe with the P pickup only, so that I can try to reach the P tone.

Then I'll make another comparison with a Mexican Deluxe P-Bass Special.

I won't try the standard MIM. Except it has one more fret than the Squier Affinity and that it has more setup facilities, I guess it's not that different from it.

But only trying will tell, and this will be checked on Tuesday.

All the best,

20. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    The jazz used to be my preference, but nowadays I'm going for a old style kinda sound. After upgrade the electronics of my new kid, I will go for a classic P vibe.

Probably from Warmoth...

[​IMG]
    hmmmmm

[​IMG]
    HMMMMMMMMMM

plus quarter pounds, gotoh 206 string thru, flatwounds...