Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision or Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Octopikiller, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but this is goign to make it a million and one. In your opinion, which is a better instument, a p-bass or a jazz? Im looking ot get a Fender but I want to know, tone wise, playability, and looks, whish is the better bass? And also, how do the pickup covers that a lot of old fenders have on them affect the sound and playability, if they do at all, becuase I was thinking about putting some on (just for the looks, so its not a must), once I got a fender. Thanks.

2. Go for the Jazz.... -waves hands in slow motion towards a jazz- go for it

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Which is better, an apple or an orange?

If you know it has been done a million times, then use the search function.

Tone, playability, looks between the P and J are completely subjective. What you like might be hated by other people, and vice versa.

Try them out. Make your own decision.

Ash trays don't affect the sound, but it will cause changes in technique.

Do a search!!!

4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't listen to someone else's opinion on this one. (No offense meant to you, NBP66)

Neither a jazz or a p is "better". Just different.

Go to a music store and play a bunch of Jazzes, and play a bunch of P basses.

Then make your decision.

5. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    haha of course that makes sense. nearest guitar centers about an hour away so I'd just like to do my research before i head of there. Which one would you say has a fatter tone? Im not really looking for a bass with a lot of treble, but I apreciate versatility. And what are the differences between the two, tonally and structurally(besides the obvious fact that they look alike?)

6. Octopikiller

Octopikiller

Sep 7, 2002
    San Diego
    look different i mean

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Physically, the Jazz has an offset body, while the P is symmetrical.

The Jazz is more versitile, the neck pickup gives it fattness, and the bridge gives it bark and growl. Combining the pickups gives it the versitility.

The P is more "punch" and "thud" than growl. It has some tonal variation, but not as much as the jazz.

The Jazz neck is thinner, the P is a little more chunky.

Structurally, both are quality instruments (for the most part). Well built, solid, durable. They've stood the test of time.

In the end, it is worth the 1 hour trip to go play as many basses as you can get your hands on. An hour trip both ways is a lot less pricey than buying the wrong bass for you.

8. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I dunno, I like both of them. The precision sounds pretty damn mean though :) :D...
    ||_-soto-_||

9. LoL, dont worry man, I don't =) Was just foolin round, lol...since im lookin to get a Fender Jazz V :D Thought I'd have a little fun since im so bored... well, since im typin this, anyone wanting to buy a Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer, BUY MINE ON EBAY!!!here is the link for it, go for it :D Peace all ~ Tyler

10. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i'm gonna be the person who says what you want to hear.

get a pbass, they're better.

11. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah i like both too, just as long as i get that phat low end:)

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

:rolleyes:

Please tell me you're joking...

13. Obsolex and I are gonna go to one more than an hour away atleast once this summer :D his mom is gonna be nice and drive us there for the day so we can have LOADSx100 of fun playing their basses and looking at stuff :D Obsolex, your mom rules :D Peace ~ Tyler

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Leave him alone nick, that is what happens when you go to Liberty High. We LHS kids are just slightly slower than the average school... or something... i dunno...

P and J are like Apples and Oranges.

They are both different, but both kick ass. Go play some, then decide.

15. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    they both got their pros and cons so to speak, it all depends on your taste, dont let anyone tell you otherwise

16. I dunno man...them apples get stuck in your teeth sometimes...BUT ORANGES RULE! GO ORANGES!! W00T W00T!! ~ Tyler

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, I was just giving him advice, telling him what I would do in that situation.

BTW Mike, I already covered the apples and oranges comparison. Sorry, beat ya to it :p

18. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    mike is right, they both kick major ass:bassist:

its a bass!, offcourse its kicks ass:)

19. Could always go with a P-deluxe.
    Then you can have your Jazz pickup and your P pickup.
    Or those newer Areodyne(sp?) thingys if you like the looks of Jazz bodies better.

20. Personally, I'm a Jazz bass kinda guy - nothing does it for me like the sound of two cranked single coil pickups!

However, it may not do it for you - you absolutely have to try both for yourself.

--jeff