1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision parts bass - how much to pay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P-punk, May 12, 2010.

1. In my eternal quest for the perfect backup bass I have been checking out an early 70s Precision parts bass. Don't know how many different basses the bass is made up from. I know the neck and body are from two different basses, and the hardware/electronics might be from some other bass as well.

What would be a reasonable price for such a bass? Have tried to search the net, but haven't found many basses to compare it with.

2. If it's all different parts then it's really hard to put a value on something like that. If you're going to get something made of parts, just get a Warmoth or USACG and make your own. It'll most likely be a better bass.

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You'd have to show pics (of each part) or list the years and condition of each part to get an estimate of fair market value.

4. Hi guys, and thanks for the help so far.

I don't have any photos of the bass, but I spoke to the seller once more.

The loaded body is from a 1972 Precision, and had a professional refin years ago. The neck is from a 1974 Precision and is straight with a working truss rod. He wants $1500, but I might be able to talk it down a coupled of hundreds.

Is this a good deal, or would I be overpaying?

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    if the pickup and bridge are original to the 72 body and tuners are original to 74 neck, I'd say it's OK... but try to negotiate, of course, you have a good reason, hehe...

on the other hand, if pups, bridge and/or tuners are not original, go for it anyway, but for a lower price...

the bottom line is - do you like the instrument, how it feels and sounds? and looks... :)