Precision pickup for a Jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewbone, Nov 13, 2002.

1. I know there's a wiring mod for a Jazz that makes it sound a bit fatter and fartier, like a P-bass. What about just adding a Precision pickup, replacing the neck position J- pickup? I realize I'd lose some of that Jazz sound (and maybe some trade value!), but maybe it'd be worth it for the "rockier" sound I could get with my big heavy rock band.
    I've seen a Precision converted in this way by adding a Jazz pickup to the bridge position (T-Bone Walker on SNL, etc.), but I don't think I've ever seen a Jazz altered in this way. How come? Is this a religious issue, or have I just never seen it? Maybe I' missing something. Maybe I'm going to become the laughing-stock of my local scene?!

Stewbone. :eek:
  2. Check out the reggie hamilton bass by fender.
  3. or the Mark hoppus Signature...

4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I had an EMG P in my '92 MIM Jazz for a time... Sounded fine...

5. What you want is a series/parallel switch like the one on a Reverend Rumblefish XL. When the pickups are in series, you will get a hotter signal and massive bottom end. It is like having a giant humbucker. I'm sure this an easy mod. I don't do electronic mods myself, but this should only require a push/pull pot or a mini-toggle switch and should be really inexpensive. It should be substantially cheaper than than buying a P-Bass pickup and having it installed.
  6. I had a Rickenbacker 4001 that I had modded like that- I put the neck and bridge p'ups in series. I always played it wide-open anyway. I got rid of the pickup selector switch, 'cause I was always hitting it from mid-position (both p'ups) to the down position, and there went my volume!

Anyway, I'm going to do the re-wiring mod first. If it works fine, I'll just leave it at that. But to get the P-sound, ...I'm trying to do it without buying another bass! If my band would get working, maybe I could create more options... like buying another bass! But more stuff is just sort of inherently a hassle. Who needs it, really? I had to round up some gear for the band I'm now in- what a pain in the ass! Looking for the right stuff is one thing, but you can only amass so much stuff without losing the point, right? But I digress! Thanks for listening.

7. Now, speaking of another bass: I wonder if that "Reggie Hamilton" thing comes in four strings?...

Stewbone, the Musing...:rolleyes: