1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Precision pickup for a Jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewbone, Nov 13, 2002.

1. I know there's a wiring mod for a Jazz that makes it sound a bit fatter and fartier, like a P-bass. What about just adding a Precision pickup, replacing the neck position J- pickup? I realize I'd lose some of that Jazz sound (and maybe some trade value!), but maybe it'd be worth it for the "rockier" sound I could get with my big heavy rock band.
    I've seen a Precision converted in this way by adding a Jazz pickup to the bridge position (T-Bone Walker on SNL, etc.), but I don't think I've ever seen a Jazz altered in this way. How come? Is this a religious issue, or have I just never seen it? Maybe I' missing something. Maybe I'm going to become the laughing-stock of my local scene?!

Stewbone. :eek:

2. Check out the reggie hamilton bass by fender.

3. or the Mark hoppus Signature...

:D:p:D

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I had an EMG P in my '92 MIM Jazz for a time... Sounded fine...

-robert

5. What you want is a series/parallel switch like the one on a Reverend Rumblefish XL. When the pickups are in series, you will get a hotter signal and massive bottom end. It is like having a giant humbucker. I'm sure this an easy mod. I don't do electronic mods myself, but this should only require a push/pull pot or a mini-toggle switch and should be really inexpensive. It should be substantially cheaper than than buying a P-Bass pickup and having it installed.

6. I had a Rickenbacker 4001 that I had modded like that- I put the neck and bridge p'ups in series. I always played it wide-open anyway. I got rid of the pickup selector switch, 'cause I was always hitting it from mid-position (both p'ups) to the down position, and there went my volume!

Anyway, I'm going to do the re-wiring mod first. If it works fine, I'll just leave it at that. But to get the P-sound, ...I'm trying to do it without buying another bass! If my band would get working, maybe I could create more options... like buying another bass! But more stuff is just sort of inherently a hassle. Who needs it, really? I had to round up some gear for the band I'm now in- what a pain in the ass! Looking for the right stuff is one thing, but you can only amass so much stuff without losing the point, right? But I digress! Thanks for listening.

Stewbone.:D

7. Now, speaking of another bass: I wonder if that "Reggie Hamilton" thing comes in four strings?...

Stewbone, the Musing...:rolleyes: