1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision pickup help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carlos840, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Seymour Duncan Antiquity II

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Jason Lollar

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lindy Fralin

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. A big fat piece of lard

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Hi all,

First, let me apologize for doing one more of those polls, but i have just been through the 47 pages found by the search function and i still dont know what i want/need...

I am basically building myself a franken P, im using everything i like from every year of fender P bass, so im using a modern 2010 USA standard neck with modern tuner, old school saddle bridge, warmoth LPB body, and a pickup sounding as vintage as i can find!

Im torn between Seymour Duncan antiquity II, Lollar and Fralin...

Havent heard the SD, heard the lollar and fralin and i prefer the lollar because to my ears it had less highs and more lows than the fralin.

What im looking for is a pickup with vintage tone, big lows, some grind and growl but not to much highs and clank. Which has been described by some as what the SD sounds like but i would love to hear it...
    This bass will become my 2nd go to bass so it needs a tone and output that can work alongside a darkstared jazz bass!

This for me is the perfect tone!

Cheers

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    What about the Lardstrand NP4? :)

3. I have done some research on it to and it seems like a more modern voiced pickup...

4. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    The Nordstrand NP4 is a wicked pickup that has a very Vintage sound with hot output

5. Thank you for adding to the confusion, now i have 4 to chose from!

6. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I agree that the Nordstrands are more vintage than modern. You're welcome for complicating things, LOL :)

7. I believe it's the NJ4SEs that sound more modern when it comes to Nordstrand's J pickups. The SVs are voiced very similar to the NJ4s but are hum canceling.

8. Everybody seems to love a good ol' peace of lard!

9. Forgive me, but it sounds as if you might like a Fender Precision Pickup? From Fender? ......:D

Seriously, they sound great.

10. Well i dont, which is the reason why i decided to do that!
    I tried a few post 08 P basses and although i like the playability i never had one that i liked the sound off...
    Tried a few 70 and earlier last week and although some of them had not so great necks to my ears they sounded better, especially an old beat up 64...
    Unfortunately im not ready to put 6000$ in a bass yet, so i decided to combine old and new to make my own...

I find the modern Fender pickups to bright and harsh, not enough low end either....

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you want to tame the highs and fatten the tone, you could get an overwound Fralin. His standard overwind is 5%, but he'll do more. I could understand going for the overwind, and I almost did, but I've been very happy with the stock wind. I've never tried the others.

12. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    sorry to bust yon bubbles but pickups do not produce sound; they process it.
    It's far easier to find tone in strings than copper windings.

13. I know, its all in the fingers, and the strings and the wood, and the fingerboard dot material...
    Still, im sure pickups have something to do in tone, from listening to an A/b of a fralin and a lollar on the same bass, same strings, same player i am convinced that they do affect the sound.
    Why would Fralin offer over wound pickups if pickup didnt influence tone?

14. Well, i have just found this site:

http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=46137

It has loads of sound samples, it doesnt have fralin or Lollar but i heard those from other samples i found on Tbass.

I think im going to go with seymour duncan antiquities, they sound a lot rougher than the other 2, i like the kind of hollow sound they have, and sloppy low end!
    They sound pretty much like the 64 i really liked (from what i can remember) the NP4 also are a lot to polite for my taste...

To lowtide, have a listen and tell me you cant hear a difference from pickup to pickup!

15. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Nordstrand. You can't go wrong IMO.. It's deep, it's clear, it thumps, it grinds... It sounds good. But to each his own. One thing I DO NOT like is sloppy low end. So I think it's safe to say we have different tastes :)

16. Well im still not entirely sure im going with the SD II, it just sound the biggest to my ears yet...
    And since this bass is going to be part of my "to go pair" and have to be used alongside a Darkstared Jazz bass i think it really needs some fat lows otherwhise the switching from one to the other is going to sound ridiculous!

17. Whatd you end up going with? That Jamiroquai clip is one of the two clips I look at for "that" P Bass tone that im looking for.

If anyone else peeks in here, the other is the tone from MJ's Dont Stop til You Get Enough. Not sure if its a P or not, but it sounds a good bit like one to me.

18. I went with the SD antiquity II,
    Its got a great low end, more than the Fralin i think, its really gritty/ grindy to...
    Its really thick and meaty with the tone rolled off and has good high end with the tone open without being to clangy.

Now i dont know how it compares to the other ones you mentioned. I went with the SD mainly because it had a thicker low end and was visually more vintage correct, came with the grounding plate etc..

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    how about pat wilkins?

20. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    are delanos to modern?
    i am thinking of getting one for my p-bass