Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

precision pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Mar 22, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    can someone tell me the tonal differences between the original precision (tele) single coil pickups, and the split coil precision pickup. i'm getting ready to buy another bass (as an alternative to my jazz), and i really love the sound of a precision. but where i live, so many people have precisions. so i want something that looks alittle different. so i'm getting into early 50's tele-stlye precisions. (i obviously don't have the money for an original). so i was thinking about picking up a sting 54 reissue, but i'm worried about what the pickup sounds like. i've heard of people having problems with strings getting caught under it when they play hard. well i play very hard. i was thinking that i'd put a quarter pounder in it though.

on the other hand i was thinking about getting a tele-style body routed for a split coil precision pickup from warmoth. that way i've got both worlds.

basically i want to know what the tonal differences are between the older single coil pickups, and the split coil pickups. let me know...thanks.

2. My impression is that the split coil P pickup is quite a bit warmer than the Tele style pickup. I've only tried two basses with the tele pickup. One was a '73 Tele bass, which sounded great, and the other was a '54 P bass which was amazing. However, I never really compared them side by side with a P bass that had a split coil pickup. See if you can try a P bass and a Tele bass side by side. If not, I would go with your Warmoth idea (Tele bass with P pickup). From what I've heard, a lot of people don't like the Tele bass pickup, and don't think it's nearly as good as the split pickup design. Whatever you deside to do, remember that regardless of whether it sounds good, the Tele bass pickup will sound much different than the P bass pickup.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah...i was thinking about it today. i mean...there must've been a good reason that fender changed the design, and then never really went back to it. i played an mia p bass today, and OH MY GOODNESS. i loved it. if i'd of had the money, i would have bought it right there. but anyway...thanks for the response.

4. No problem. Going with a P bass would probobly be the safest bet, but I understand what you mean about not wanting to have a bass like everyone elses. Warmoth might be a great idea.

5. ho hum
    no hum?:)

6. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    the SCPB pickup is brighter and does not have hum canceling so it may be a bit noiser than a 57 and later Precision.

The guy from Train has one - you can hear his sound on Meet Virginia - if you like that, get a 51-56 Precision or a 68 -71 Telecaster. 72 and later Telecaster basses went to a humbucker mounted right next to the neck and the tone completely changed.

The Sting basses sound really nice if you are into the SCPB tone . . .

7. why would you want to ruin such a wonderful sounding bass by routing it to put a warmouth p/u in it ? duh !!! i have a 61 precision and a 52, yes an original !!! i would not even remotely consider replacing or routing......the 54 is much warmer sounding than the 61, but with the right amount of eq you may be able to get as much punch as a later p bass or jazz....good luck, also, as long as your using proper technique you should not have a problem with fetching on the pickup with the strings.......sting seemed to do alright !!!!!