1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Pup Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Old Fart, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I've got a 2004 Precision with (I believe) stock pickups. I LOVE this bass physically (insert sexual innuendo joke here) however, the tone is unremarkable. It punches through a mix just like a P should, but I just wonder if a change in pickup and/or cap might make it sound.....less unremarkable.

Rather than do my homework (wade through a hundred threads), I wonder if you guys (and babes) might just provide a quick list of the more popular pup upgrades. I recall a thread by JimmyM in which his review of his P pup upgrade was wildly complimentary. Perhaps he used the 'Original 62' pickup?

At any rate, I wonder if the more popular pickups and capacitor swaps could be listed here and described in terms of the tonal characteristics of each using terms like:

Traditional Vintage Tone
    Bright Tone
    Modern Tone
    Extra Thumpy Tone
    Etc.

2. camthebassman

camthebassman

Jan 7, 2012
  3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I don't know what's in your bass, but if it has 250k pots I'd replace them with 500k, and use a good .1uF cap. All that's under $20 + a little time. Ime, the 250k pots choke/muffle the tone.

I tried about 10 split P pickups (before giving up on them) and thought the Fender '62/Original was the best of what I tried. I didn't try Lollar or Fralin.

4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I recently went with an Aguilar P4-60 and I've never heard a more articulate vintage voiced P pickup. It just sounds like the best P pup you can imagine without exaggerating any frequency out of the norm, which a lot of them do in order to suit a players particular tonal preference.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I used to have an excellent 2004 Am. Series P, and went through a couple of pickups before landing on a stock wind Lindy Fralin, which was just perfect IMO. It has all the thump and punch you could ask for, plus lots of clarity and a touch of crunch/grit that's wonderful in a band mix. If a P-bass is appropriate -- which is usually the case -- the Fralin will work IMO.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The Fender 62 is a great sounding pickup, but my favorite P pickup are Rio Grande, the vintage and Muy Grande are both excellent.

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    If you want mids, the Duncan SPB-4 is your friend.

8. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'll echo the chorus that the 62 Original is a great pickup. The one that came in my 2012 P is just.....well, the sound that a Precision should have in my head. I have a 2010 P without the pickup that I use for reference. It's stock pickup was just a bit thin and maybe a bit scooped for my taste. I dropped a Lace Sensor in it (ok tone, but much lower output and weird response to tone knob adjustment) before settling on a SPB-2, which I also like, but is a bit deeper voiced than the 62 Original.

That said, I think there's a LOT of different flavors of the P pickup, and what sounds right to me might not be what sounds right to you. The SPB-3 Quarter Pounder is the pickup that pops to mind when you mention "modern" tone- it's somehow a bit mid scooped to my ear, with a big low end and bright highs. Personally, I don't like it, but I know for a fact that many people swear by it.

As others have said, the Bill Lawrence P-46 appears to be excellent. I have not tried one, but I have not read anyone say anything negative about it.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll cast another vote for Fralin stock wind. Wonderful p'up. Even, vintage-voiced tone with lots of nice detail.

My '83 stock Fender p'up has a slightly fatter sound than the Fralin and a little less detail.

Quarter-pounders are nice for a more modern thing; a push in low mids and a hotter output. If you like the low-mids but don't want the hot output, you could look at the Bartolini Originals.

The choices for P-p'ups are vast....

10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'm a fan of the Fralins as well. Replaced the pick ups in my MIM nitro 50's P-Bass with Fralins, and now it sounds "right" if that makes sense.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My 2004 stock MIA Fender pickup probably had more pure thump than the Fralin, but its lows were a little blurry. The Fralin still thumps, but, like you said, has more detail.

12. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    I think you'll hear an "upgrade" sound using an SPB-4 (new) with 250k pot and 047 cap.
    There's an interesting article on this very subject in the latest Bass Player Mag.
    (white cover with Avenged Sevenfold bass player on cover)

13. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I agree with those that say the "Original '62" is a great pup.
    I do not know if it is any different or a marketing gimmick but the one bass that I have with the "60's Custom Shop" pup that Fender was putting in the American Standards a couple years ago sounds like you described above. This is in a maple-necked bass with TI's. I only have one bass with these so I cannot say that they are all like this. I have a handful with the '62's and they are pretty much the same across the board.
    I have a few basses with the Aguilar AG 4P-60's and I like those quite a bit too. They may not be as bright as you want though. Clear and thumpy but I would not say "bright", more strong mids maybe. I can get a bright tone from my Tech-21 VT Bass though if I need it.

14. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    yeah this pickup interested me
    but i picked up a used spb-1 off of ebay, it measured 11.8k
    has plenty of low mids and mids, also plenty of output, sounds even, treble is there but it's thicker sounding. not brittle.
    works well with my nickelwound strings...

15. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Thank you. This discussion is precisely what I asked for. I can see which pups are favorites and why. It sounds like the '62 Original might be the overall winner. Nearly everyone speaks well of it.

I am still a little confused about the pots and caps.

16. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    The 62 originals are just OK to my ears.

Budget is an important consideration, pickups range from $65 to $145.
    Here are some of the pickups I really like in no specific order:

The Seymour Duncan Ant II
    Aguilar AG-4p60
    Lollar P
    Dimarzio DP250 - this is the best value vintage vibe pickup, nice punch too. Virtually unknown on Talk Bass except by one fellow bass player who turn me on to them.
    Dimarzio Model P - the ceramic pickup yields a 70's hard hitting tone.
    Seymour Duncan SPB-1
    Fralin are very detailed and bright, I like them with flat strings

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

While I like and currently use the 62RI in my Classic 50's, my vote goes to Fralin stock wind for clarity, evenness and low mids...all things important to a traditional good P tone. I didn't think I could improve on my last classic 50's (same US pickups as pre 2012 Fenders), but the Fralin did dramatically. The 62RI is more high-mid/top end focused but still has supple lows. Both good pups, but I'd take the Fralin if I had a choice every time.

18. Having been through a mass of the commonly recommended P pickups, I recently tried an EMG P pickup. It was a revelation. It was exactly what I had been looking for. THe attack and punch are very different to a "traditional" passive P pickup. It's not better or worse, but it is different. Worth having a listen to some clips at least if you can.
    Contrary to some (EMG haters probably), it's not a mid-scooped pickup, but definitely has a more extended range (upper and lower) than a traditional P pickup.

19. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Bill Lawrence P46. You'll never look back.

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Curtis Novak Charlie Christian incredible sound.