1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision pup signal switching

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SlugThrower, Oct 5, 2013.

1. SlugThrower

SlugThrower Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Is this a crazy, nonsense idea? Is it possible to modify a precision pup to switch between parallel, series, in phase, and out of phase? Would this Make sense only if you were playing across the two pickups at once? Or would there be an audible difference regardless?

Stupid questions of the night, night.

Also, biamping and stereo splitting of the coils?

Humbuckers in a split-p configuration?

2. Fender used to do series/parallel switching on P basses, but it proved to be a massive failure, as most people find a parallel-wired split coil to be too weak for any practical use.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes "crazy nonsense idea".

4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I wired my 64 P in series/parallel, and found the parallel to be useful. It sounded like the neck pickup of my 68 J bass, soloed, but humbucking.

Out of phase would only defeat the humbucking effect of the pickup. Stereo splitting the pickups would also not be humbucking.

I see only series/parallel useful at all.