Precision re-issue question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Aug 28, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I recently bought a '96 American P '62 reissue, and it came without the covers. The body has holes for the pup cover, but doesn't look like the cover was ever mounted, and there are no holes for the bridge cover. What gives??? Did Fender ship these this way? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. Try contacting Fender or the store you boughht it from. Sometimes they are removed for shipping purposes, as is what happens to all that is sent to my local shop, and they sometimes aren't put back on before they are put up for sale. The store could have your covers.
  3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Actually I got it from GC's listing on the 'bay. I'm not really concerned with the covers, but the holes were never drilled into the body. Did Fender ship these without drilling the holes?
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender made an American 62 reissue in the 90's? All reissues I've ever seen had the covers installed. Are you sure that's what this is?
  5. emor

May 16, 2004
    I got my 57RI yesterday (see other thread).

The covers were not installed, but were included in the case.
    The PU cover holes are drilled in the PG, but not in the wood.
    There are no marks indicating where the bridge cover screws are to be located.
  6. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Fender does not install the ashtrays on the reissues anymore. You can install them yourself if you'd like.
  7. Well I learned something new today, when did Fender stop drilling the holes?? Seems kinda silly to just include the hardware and not mount it before shipping.
  8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    This is exactly what mine looks like.
  9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Quite sure. Complete with the finger rest on the lower bout side and the strap pin on the back of the headstock next to the "50 years of excellence" sticker, showing it to be a '96, and the serial number beginning with V for vintage reissue.
  10. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yep. I had to drill the holes and install the ashtrays myself on my 62 RI and 57 RI.
  11. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I think their reason for doing this is that most people don't use them, and they are quite easy to install.

I like the fact that Fender gives you the option of not having the holes drilled into your bass. I put the covers on the '57 I had, and while it looked cool as hell, I couldn't play the way I like with the pickup cover on.

Now I just leave 'em off.