Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision Replacement Pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stonewall, Dec 10, 2013.

1. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    what is a good replacement pickup for a Fender Precision.I play Classic Rock i hate ultra highs, love vintage woody punchy middy tones not into slap at all.Love a growly bass i use LaBella Flatty,s?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You want a vintage tone with ultra highs and lots of woody mid punch? I cannot help you there but if you want just a good vintage tone I really like the Seymour Duncan vintage pickups(SPB-1)

3. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    It says i hate ultra highs.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    +1 on the Duncan SPB-1.

5. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Aguilar AG 4P-60's will get you there.

6. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Fender's Reissue '62 P-Bass Pickup is really good for that rock tone, and its priced well too. Also, Fralins.

7. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    I'd definitely like to see some suggestions too. I have 2003 American P that I'm considering upgrading. Not sure if the money would be better put toward a different amp/cab or an entirely different bass.

8. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    I suggest the Fender Original '62 PU sold by Fender. Great price in comparison to other pickups alike, and great sound, tone, output. Not high pitched, full pof mids :) I have those on 2 P-basses.

9. dvlmusic

dvlmusic

Jul 24, 2010
    Alameda, CA
  10. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Nordstrand makes a modern and vintage P-bass replacement pickup

11. David Allen 1088CS works great in my P-bass FWIW.

12. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    Got DiMarzio DP127's in mine. They work really great, especially if you hate ultra high end.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I put the vintage one in my '64...I like.

14. HenningSB

HenningSB

Dec 9, 2013
    Norway
    I bought the Lace Aluma P-bass pickups for my '57 Reissue, they sound incredible! Good low-end and mid-punch!

15. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist

Apr 19, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1 on the '62 Bright enough mids without high freq finger squeak.

16. I got a SPB-1 from Seymour Duncan in my MIM 60th anniversary. I play in a blues and in a classic rock band. Absolutely satisfied.

Fair price? SBP-1 or RI-62.

Boutique? Pricey? Nordstrand or Fralins.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I think the Fender 62RI are probably the brightest of the bunch, followed by the SPB-1.

I used a Fralin stock wind for a long time and thought it was well balanced and definitely not as bright as the 62RI pup I currently use.

I have a Lollar stock wind en route from Seattle as we speak, so I can't give a suggestion on that, but I'm definitely chomping at the bit to do so :)

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    5% over-wound Fralins would do this for you.

19. LoTone

LoTone

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Bartolini 8S. I have a used set if you want to try...