Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision Sound in Humbucking Pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoNoise, May 11, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I was wondering if it is possible to findy any manufacturers that may a pickup that would allow me to get the classic Precision sound from humbucking pickups. I have a bass that is confining me to humbucking pups, but I don't want to turn around and buy another bass just so it can have P-style pups. Thanks.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Bartolini does it. So do my mighty mite actives

3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, I never thought I would see Barts and Mighty Mites compared in one post.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I am kinda suprised myself. :D Well, I know that the structure of the MightyMites is like this because I recently was working on the electronics and had to test some wiring. I checked the pickups by tapping them lightly with the metal end of a screwdriver. I noticed that the magnets nearest the neck are under the E and A. The ones closest to the bridge are under the D and G. They are also active, which is cool. They are suprisingly good.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    EMG HB and HBCS pickups are their P pickup put into a guitar humbucker sized shell. These are what the Steinberger L and XL use. I happen to like EMG's and these kick - but....

What do you perceive as the "classic" Precision sound? Is it Jamerson/Motown, Entwistle/Live At Leeds or something in between? A P can do a lot of things and all of them are classic, but not every pickup will give you that just because of the magnet structure - especially the actives.

I have a '76, super lightweight with a Maple board and its specialty is an agressive woody tone. It doesn't do the Motown thing very well. Even among P's the "classic" tone varies......

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

humbuckers come in all shapes and sizes so it helps to know the dimensions (and screw format), the bass, EMG 40 (something to nail it down) since you may as well be talking about an actual P pup as an HB with different dimensions.

Also rigging is important for classic tone.