precision special...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Jan 17, 2002.

1. does anyone know if it comes with any other pickguard beisdes that nasty analized gold crap. I played on one at a local music store and loved the j-neck along with the p/j pups.
  2. paige garwood

paige garwood

May 2, 2000

Just buy a new pickguard that you like. Don't let that gold thing keep you from a decently priced bass. I have one and love it!
  3. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    I think it looks cool.
  4. ...I went to the music store today and saw a P-bass special that was made in the USA with a jazz neck.
    I thought the usa models came with a P neck.
    It list for around $1400. I can get it for about $800.
    what do ya'll think?
    It's a beautiful sunburst with 3 ply black pick guard ( think 4 they make those?) rosewood fretboard.
    GAS attack!
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

There is no MIA Precision Bass Special in the current Fender catalog. In fact, the last time Precision Bass Special was used to name a US made model was around 1980.

The current Hot Rodded P (not a P Special) comes with a tortoise guard, not black (BTW tortoise guards are 4-ply). Catalog says P-width neck but Fender has a long history of shipping odd neck widths on P basses and changing model specs at the drop of a hat.

So who knows what you're looking at :confused:
  6. well i called my friend...your's tourtoise pickguard. guess it's hotrodded...
    but it's definitely a jazz neck.
  7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey Paige, you made it to talkbass, welcome aboard!
    I have the Precision deluxe special, strung with TI jazz flats. Excellent bass IMHO. I like it better than any P-bass I've ever owned.
    See ya around the forums.
  8. Why the TI Jazz flats?

Just curious ... I just picked up a used P-bass special and am trying to decide which strings to put on. Let me know what you have found.

Thanks -
  9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have a MIM P bass special I am currently upgrading. I put a Badass II on it and Seymour Duncan 1/4 lb pu's in the P bass pickup. I've ordered the 1/4 lb for the Jazz pickup. Straplocks are on it. When I'm done with the pickups, I'll consider replacing the tuners. I was out $329 for the bass on Ebay, $80 total for the pickups and $59 for the bridge. It's candy apple red with the gold pickguard. I like the gold myself. I love the jazz neck. I'm not going to worry about it getting dinged. I did notice a difference in quality with the paintjob, there is some clear coat wave on the back where they sprayed too much. I attribute this to where it was made. But like I said, I'm not going to worry about banging it around. The body is alder, just like a USA made model. (It's slightly smaller than a standard precision body.) The only drawback I can see is the lack of a graphite reinforced neck like on USA models, but I figure I am coming out of it for substantially less than $500 and will have a pretty decent bass with serious upgrades.
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I like the feel of flatwounds, plus the fat tone.
    While they felt a little sticky at first, the Thomastiks have broken in now. They sound great. IMHO you can go from a fat old school kind of tone, to a more up to date kind of tone. If thumb slapping is your bag, they're flexible enough to do that. You just won't get that crisp kind of sound that roundwounds give you. But otherwise, I feel the Thomastiks are well suited to that bass.