Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision style bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackson0321, Jan 7, 2002.

1. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    what do yall think is the best Pbass you can buy, no money limit.

what is the best Pbass value or i guess whats the best budget Pbass like under 500.

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the P is the most simple bass out there. without price limit i'd but an american P bass. lakland seems to have interesting models but i have never tried one. to the limit of 500$ i suggest you to buy a made in mexico Precision standard and then upgrade the bridge to a Badass and the pickups to a Seymour Duncan. you can choose a lot of pickups types in the Seymour Duncan catalogue. otherwise i like the yamaha attitude standard too. amother optio is to go with a warmoth bass
    www.warmoth.com. choose every single part and then put it together. i'd go with warmoth, but this id behind your moey target, i think. so go with a Fender P standard MIM

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    For no money limit, I would say a Lull P Bass. But I have never tried one, so I can't really say. The best Precision I have ever played was an American Series P Bass that was at Guitar Center. The frets were perfect, and it had a tone to die for. It played awesome. I think it was like $879 or something, but knowing Guitar Center, you could probably have it for $799 with a free set of strings or something like that.

For $500 and under, I would recommend a Fender standard series (MIM) Precision. Barroso suggested this bass also. I would buy it and update the knobs and the pickup. It comes with these cheesy looking stratocaster knobs.

By the way, Barroso, your English is not too shabby! :D

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    barroso lays it out pretty much on target... No limit, I've heard good things about the Bob Glaub from Lakland. For significantly less dinero, G&L carries the P-Bass legacy fairly dear to heart, and if I was in the market, I wouldn't hesitate on this deal from one of our own...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=35934

You could also search for a used American Fender... these can usually be had easily for under 5 bills...

Good luck, and welcome to TalkBass!

-robert

5. My suggestion is a little more than $500.00 For about $560.00 try to get your hands on one of those Steve Harris Iron Maiden P-Basses. I played one a few months ago, and they sound really good; very thick, but with a nice singing high end. Nice low end too. They have Seymour Duncan pups in them already, and I think a badass bridge. If you like a heavy, powerful P-bass tone, this is it.

Mike J.

6. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Im waiting for my local shop to get one in to try. I hope it sounds as good as my p-bass (1977 Fender, Seymour Duncan, Bad ass II, Rotosound Steve Harris flats).. If it does, i'll buy one.

Chris

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As far as Precisions go, the BEST determines what you're looking for. The Fender 50th Annivesary Custom shop P would have to be the ultimate in vintage P basses, if you're looking for the original '51. For more of a mainstream look and sound, the Lakland Bob Glaub and Mike Lull models are at the top, considering the attention to detail, pro set-up, small produciton, one-on-one service, and overall vintage tone. A step down from this level would be the Fender U.S. reissue basses ('57 & '62), which would be closely followed by the soon-to-be-released Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub model, the Fender U.S. Std. series, and any comperable model from G&L. A Warmoth-made bass would probably also fit around here too.
    In my opinion, the best P-bass VALUEs would be the Fender vintage reissue '57 & '62s, the Lakland Skyline Glaubs, MIM Fender Precision, and any number of Peavey P-bass copies that list in several different price categories.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I would take a G&L LB-100, SB-1, or SB-2 over any American Series Precision Bass any day. I'm sure that many will agree. Fender purists are the obvious exception.

9. My favorite is the Yamaha Billy Sheenan model. It's not the cheaper Attitude but the higher end model. If I ever buy a good P it would be that one.:D

10. is everybody gonna yell at me if i suggest the mark hoppus bass?

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
  12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    <center><p><font size="7"><strong><marquee scrollamount="15">!!FENDER!!</marquee></strong></font></p>
    THE ORIGINAL AND BEST!<center>

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

No limit suggestions:

I'm very happy with my Lull P5 (it's actually blue, not purple).
    [​IMG]

Along with Lull and Lakland, Roger Sadowsky is now making a boutique Precision (it's about freakin' time, too).