1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision surf green pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crimax, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Crimax

Crimax

Nov 15, 2015
    MIlan, Italy
    Hi everybody
    I feel ready for a custom bass, saved the money, and it will be a surf green precision with maple fretboard, flatwound strings, passive electronic. I would like to add a bridge pickup for a little more versatility, but i still can't choose between a jazz or a mm pickup (thinking that the jazz would be more soft and the mm more powerful).
    I would like to know your opinions.
    I play basically blues rock and funk (kind of J.Brown, Jamiroquai, Incognito), no slap.
    Thanks in advance

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I actually prefer the MM pickup in the bridge position over all else. I like that it is composed of two separate coils that you can utilize in several combinations for more versatility.
    I have a Jazz into which I installed an MM bridge pickup, and I absolutely love it.
    A723783C-E83E-40F1-943D-D84436019289.
    It is about an inch closer to the bridge than on an actual Stingray, but the tone it puts out is pretty close. I also have a switch wired up to use either coil by itself as well. This way I can still get a 60's or a 70's Jazz tone. Best of everything.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Grumry and brianmharrison like this.
  3. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta

I'm doing a similar build and chose the mm over a j for tonal versatility. I'm putting in a switch for series/south coil/parellel

4. dls119

dls119

Jun 27, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    From the "why not both" category: How about a MM with a coil tap?

ba55i5t likes this.
  5. Crimax

Crimax

Nov 15, 2015
    MIlan, Italy
    You're all right, the mm has more versatility, especially with the switch (i must confess i didn't think about it).
    By the way Maruszczyk was the builder i first thinked about, the basses are well done, sound good, and for being custom made are quite resonable priced.

6. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    This. Make it so you can change between the single coil closer to bridge, humbucker, and closer to neck coil. If you want the heavy beef then consider a parallel series switch.

dls119 likes this.