Precision Type Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a Lull P4 with Lyndy Fralin pickups and play through a Eden WT 550 and 2 Aguilar GS 112 speakers. Last nite at a gig, the guitar player told me that he couldn't hear the notes and that everything was a loud roar. I had brought my American Deluxe Jazz too so I switched basses and the difference was amazing.

Are all precision type basses like that....big loud roar with little note definition? I like playing the Lull because of it's wide and flat hands cramp up when I get excited while I'm playing the Jazz.
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm wondering if the problem might be an EQ issue..or just a goofy guitar player. P basses and Jazz basses are definatley different, but I wouldn't characterize the tone of a P to be a "loud roar". Precision basses do have more bottom end and a phatter overall sound primarily because they don't have the benefit of a bridge pickup....not better or worse, just different. A jazz may cut a little better, or have more presence, on the top end due to the extra bite and treble frequencies picked up from the bridge pickup, but it won't have the same tonal character or fundamental support that a P bass does.

If you ever listed to any Motown tracks, Pink Floyd, etc., those were primarily recorded with a P bass. I'd look into how new/old your strings are, how you use the tone knob, and how you set the controls on your amp. Hopefully this will be a good start to helping you figure out if your guitar player's comments have merrit. Good luck. ;)
  3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    I would concur on the EQ possibly being the problem. I've heard many P-players who did indeed get nothing but a low end roar and rumble with no note definition.
  4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I usually have all of the controls on the amp set flat. I used to boost the bass but not with the Lull. I find that the tone control on the Lull does not make much of a difference in the sound of the bass. Is there something that I can do to fix this?
  5. I dunno, I'd slap some stainless steel strings on there for good measure.
  6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I like P-bass'.
    Mines a Squier so it doesn't sound to good but they all "kinda" feel the same.
  7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Grab your guitarists head and duct tape it to your cab? :bassist:

What are you using for strings? When was the last time you changed them?

Try backing off the bass eq and boosting the mid eq. Make sure that you have the the tone control all the way clockwise. If your tone control doesn't change your sound then something is seriously wrong.

Good luck.
  8. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Where do you have the enhance knob set? The more you turn it up, the more you scoop the mids.
  9. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I think guitar player are mad. they can't hear anything. anyway there could be a problem with your eq. raise the mids and ou will be heard without having too much trebley sounds. I often play with mids at 10 and bass and treble flat and everybody hears me.... even my mad guitar player who can't hear anything. guitar players are too stupid:)
  10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have DR Marcus Miller's on the bass and they have been on there for about three months. The enhanced knob was set at 1:00. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my tone knob.

I love the balance and feel of this bass but the lack of definition is starting to bother me. I'll set the mids higher and lower the bass this weekend to see if it makes a difference.
  11. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    That's it. You've scooped the mids *a lot*. Boosting them is kinda moot if you have the enhance that high. Unlike the other knobs, 12:00 is not the neutral position, all the way counter-clockwise is. Try not turning it past 10:00 and see if that fixes it. I never had mine more than 9:30 and usually at 9:00.

By turning the enhance you're boosting the bass and treble, cutting the mids. It's kinda a quick EQ knob.
  12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks Rod. I'll try that this weekend.