1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Upgrade Dilemma

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by harlon, Mar 11, 2009.

1. harlon

harlon

Jul 13, 2007
    Hi. Here's my dilemma. I have a Peavey Fury (Precision clone). It's a fairly cheap bass, but not horrible. Recently I installed Lindy Fralin pups on it. That helped the tone, but the bass itself simply needs work, so I've been in the market for a new Fender (MIA). So - with that in mind, how would the option of buying a new MIA Fender P compare to buying a MIM P and replacing the pups with these Fralins? Would the final product be comparable vs the higher price of a MIA model?

Just wondered what are your thoughts. If my question is confusing at all please tell me and I'll re-word it.

Thanks!

2. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So basically whichever bass you buy, you want to put in the Fralin's?

3. harlon

harlon

Jul 13, 2007
    Actually - I hadn't considered it if I bought the MIA. Maybe. Would it be an improvement over the stock pups?

4. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    This depends... a lot of people think switching out stock PUP's ALWAYS makes an improvement in the sound...this is false.

If you're going with a MIA, look at the models that feature the Samarium Cobalt pickups. They are fantastic, I love my American Jazz Deluxe with them.

5. I'm not sure how much tonal difference you'll hear between a Fury and a Precision, especially since you have already installed upgraded pickups. The basic platform is so similar that they tend to sound alike. One modification that typically helps Peaveys is to upgrade the tone capacitor to .05 or .1 . This will allow you to roll off more highs to get a more vintage pricision tone .

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    When you say MIA (made in america), which series are you actually talking about?

American Standard?
    American Vintage?
    American Deluxe?

I know the American Standard was meant to be the big upgrade from the old American series, which was the one up from standard (MIM). Allot of the tone differences between the basses comes from the quality of the wood, the finish, the quality control, construction methods etc.

If you can afford it, then an American Standard would be amazing! However, I bet you could buy a MIM P-Bass spend cash on upgrades and end up with a bass that looks and sounds just as good!

Here are two videos I made on upgrading basses:

I would do the following to upgrade a MIM bass:
    • New pickup to your liking (I love Seymour Duncan, but whatever works for you)
    • Badass II Bridge
    • New high end pots
    • Sprague Orange Drop cap (0.047uF)
    • Copper shielded cavity
    • Get a tech to check neck join it properly done (not 'dry wall' screwed)

Hope that helps
    :bassist:

7. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a very different opinion of the SCN pickups but I guess that's why these forums exist. I feel that the Fralins are a much better sounding pickup. I would even go so far as to say the previous generation of Fender noiseless pickups (pre-SCN but post Lace Sensor) were the most authentic sounding of their noiseless jazz pickups.

Of course there will be certain basses that sound great with the SCNs and certain basses that don't work with the Fralins, but that's why there are so many options and forums like this to discuss them.

8. harlon

harlon

Jul 13, 2007
    Thanks. Those are great! I'll definitely bookmark for future reference!

And thanks for the upgrade tips. I'll check those out - it'll all come down to value, of course - MIM with mods vs USA stock (or with the Fralins I already own).

Thank you. I"ll check Stew Mac for these and keep it in mind if I keep the Peavey.

After all this, I'm wondering in fact how much better the Fender would sound over the Peavey? Hmmm ... I hate decisions.

I may post a soundclip of the Peavey if a few of you familiar with the Fender wouldn't mind comparing it to the Fury??

9. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    How do they "drywall screw" a neck on... not drill pilot holes? Also, what changes do switching out the pots and cap have on the sound?

I'm planning on hot rodding my two basses, basically doing everything you listed (strangely enough), and am a bit curious about the affect of the less primary components on the sound.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    SCN's are not supposed to sound "authentic" they are modern sounding pickups by design. That's what Fender asked for when they went to Bill Lawrence to design the pickups. They wanted them louder, and with a wider response and more sensitive, while still sounding like single coil pickups.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    If it were me - and I mod just about everything I own, I would go for the MIA P and pop the Fralins in.
    I prefer MIA P's over MIM's and Fralins over SCN's, so it would be the "best of both worlds" kinda thing IMHO

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1 to that! my am std p-bass has a fralin, and it kills. way bigger sounding than the old pickup, which was fine in and of itself.

the am stds have graphite rods in the neck, a thicker headstock to prevent twisting and reduce dead spots, and that real nice string-through-body bridge. as a platform for upgrading, it's way beyond a MIM or MIJ fender.