Precision vs. Jazz - "Sitting in the Mix"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChadPaulJones, Apr 5, 2013.

1. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    No. Only was there for gigs, label meetings or playing with friendly blondes from Laguna beach ;) Miss it. Im on the East coast.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes, in a Devo energy dome.

3. BassByBaldSteve

BassByBaldSteve Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Aguilar Amplification
    Ahhhhh...Laguna Beach blondes...yeah, I'll bet you do miss them.

4. honest abe

honest abe Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Audio Engineer for Marcos Witt
    Exactly! Well said. Spoken like a true pro.

5. Cop-out. The musician, or his band, is paying you to mix THEM. Don't start screwing with that. It's not YOUR record. It's theirs and they're entrusting you to keep it that way.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Depends on who's paying for the session and how much power you have in your band. And sometimes you have to allow for the possibility that they're right even if you have clout. As long as you're objective and don't just shoot it down because you only want to play your favorite bass...

True, but some situations where people are listening with their eyes pay pretty well, so anything you can do to tilt the scales in your favor helps. It's a moot point unless you're trying to make a career out of it, but if you are, it helps to know that yes, you will often be judged on looks and presentation as much or more than skills. If you're offering a paid gig, you can always find good players, but you can't always find good players you can get along with and have the right vibe for the band.

7. honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Not in my world. I'm usually hired to mix by producers and not bands themselves. Truth be told in my 20 year career Ive never been payed by a bass player. Moreso I've often had to talk to a producer to replace a bass part that was poorly played or recorded. The bass players with the most work are the ones who nail their parts and are easy to work with. Meaning they adapt their technique, style, and sound to what works for the song and the producer. If it's just your hobby than by all means stick to your guns and dont diverge if thats what makes you happy. You don't want to be accused of actually being flexible.

8. honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Words of wisdom....

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would think that most bass players in well known bands don't get replaced this easily. But then there's this whole wave of music where all the bass sounds the same to me especially "New Country". Cookie cutter type stuff. I wouldn't be surprised at all if producers and engineers are choosing their favourite bass player for this generic mass produced sound.

10. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    No its the label who is paying the check to a pro studio.

If you are talking local stuff...sure..do what you want. Im talking pro work here.

But the label pays a producer because they know how to get a quality of sound that will properly represent their catalogue.

An accomplished engineer will make your tone far better than you ever could behind a board.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They are.

But we have to distinguish the difference between a well-known bass player with name recognition in a band and a band where the bass player is liked by hardcore fans only. For example, there was no replacing Paul McCartney or Sting in the Beatles or Police. But bands like Bon Jovi have easily fired and replaced their bass player and didn't miss a beat, and if Hugh was gone tomorrow, Bon Jovi would still be Bon Jovi. There are a lot of gray areas with members of famous bands who aren't necessarily key members, and it's nothing that can be applied across the board.

12. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    And drummers have it way worse. I have watched tons of drummers get fired from sessions. They all took it well because they were getting fired by a guy who made great records and knew more than them. They still get to tour, and no one knows they didnt play on the record.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I would never take getting canned on a session from my band well.

14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    yup, give the man what he wants and everybody goes home happy.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, these threads often reveal who has made decent money from playing, and those who haven't...

- georgestrings

16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I know a band whose former bassist was so bad that he was replaced by humanized midi tracks on an album recording (meaning he 'laid down his lines' and the band found them completely unworkable because of mistakes everywhere and timing all over the place etc - never knew why they put up with someone like him). And not even he noticed. Which I think is the most pathetic part of the whole deal.

So bottom line to this thread - throw away all your gear and whip out that DAW, don't matter no more boys! I mean seriously, it's easy to get the impression that all the hard work and tons of money invested in your gear go to waste because bassists so often get the short end of the stick... Had I known this ten years ago I would have never bought more than a PA including monitors and a beater bass, anything more than that may as well be pearls before swine if the TB stories are anything to go by :ninja:

17. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    The reason they took it well is because they respected the producer and also knew they were not playing the parts well enough.

I am not saying they leapt for joy, but they were not nailing the takes. There is only so much time budgeted.

18. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    You are going overboard with that. All that matters is the hard work. If you put in the work, you are going to know what a great tone is, and you will play the parts great. No one will tell you what bass to play.

Put in work, have a killer tone - the rest works out.

19. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    For me the way you EQ your bass is far more important than the bass in itself when you try to fin in a mix.

20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Well, knowing this I would certainly show up with a P-Bass if that's what they wanted. Honestly, it would be easier for me that way anyway. I mean what bass plays as easily as a P-Bass?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021