Precision vs. Jazz - "Sitting in the Mix"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChadPaulJones, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    A lot of people can't play to a clic track or a metronome for that matter ... so when they record for the first time ... they hear for the first time how bad they are.

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    This. It is all dependent on the player's preferences and how they use their instrument in the music they play. I play in a heavy band with 3 fuzzed out guitars going off at once with keys plus a loud drummer, and I am the most audible person in the band using my split P pickup straight to our PA.

Belabor likes this.
  3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    What if you play in a band like Dream Theater where you play a 6 strings bass etc ... then you show up to record and they tell you to play a 4 strings Fender P-bass ...

I would feel quite insulted and I would think the guy just want to make another carbon-copy of a mainstream rock band that sounds all the same.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Then you're mistaking personal creativity for gear. If you're a good player, you should be able to make anything work. Might not be your favorite but you should make it work. And considering the sheer number of players who use Fenders and the different sounds they get, your "carbon-copy" claim is a red herring. Jaco, Larry Graham, and John Paul Jones all used Jazz basses and Acoustic 360/361 rigs. Do they sound alike?

Also, you're assuming that it happens to everyone. In a case like Dream Theater, assuming they're doing their first album ever, it could happen, but it certainly doesn't always happen. In a situation like theirs, it's doubtful they'd want Myung to switch to a Fender because his basses work for their music. It's all case by case.

And it all depends on the band and how headstrong they are and how much clout they have vs. the producer. Like there's this one story I read from one of DT's producers about Mike Portnoy, and he said he wanted Portnoy to not play so busy in a couple songs, and he was told, "I gotta win some more drummer polls," and the drum parts ended up what Portnoy wanted.

5. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    If your talking live, a pbass rules.

6. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Same here, both are great. I'm coming out of my Jazz phase, going back into my P-Bass phase.
    I've been doing this for the last 30 years.

7. honest abe

honest abe Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Audio Engineer for Marcos Witt
    I disagree. The best bass tones Ive ever tracked or mixed are The ones that need little to no eq. EQ in my case is generally a corrective action. Getting it right from The get go is far more important IMO.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ha, That might be a tough one.;)

9. Urizen

Urizen

Jan 30, 2005
    Last year I posted a "blind comparison" on my Soundcloud site comparing my 60th Anniversary Precision, 50th Anniversary Jazz, and Classic StingRay. I played a short fingerstyle, pickstyle, and slap line on each bass. I invited contributors at the Fender and Harmony Central forums to pick out which bass was which. Most people were able to identify the StingRay, but conversely most were unable to distinguish the Precision and the Jazz. It was by no means a definitive experiment, but the P and J (on the neck pickup) were VERY close.

If I recall, all the basses had the same guage of Fender 7150 Pure Nickel strings and rigged through an identical set up.

To be honest, I think the only thing to be learned from the experiment was that it didn't matter if what bass I had, I still ended up sounding like..... ME.

10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I would agree with this, I think its more the player than the bass, obviously some instruments will have more character than others, most producers and engineers would prefer a bass that doesnt and just has a solid tone with a capable player. Be prepared when you show up and keep an open mind, more listening than talking will go a long way.
    I play a jazz bass more often than not and it seems to work fine in most settings.

villis likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't care what the purists say...you can get a good Precision sounding sound out of a Jazz if you need it by turning off the bridge pickup. Joe Osborn does that and nobody ever complained. I thought he was using a Precision until I found out he used a Jazz. It won't be identical but it'll darn sure be good enough to track as long as you don't get much 60 cycle hum.

Scotty4string likes this.
  12. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    As a J Bass "Lifer", I do notice that in a live mix,both pickups blended equally, tends to fade into the mix a little. Rather than go hard neck,or, bridge, I find that rolling either pick up back slightly,allows the bass to come forward a bit. If it's an old school groove, I'll slightly roll back the bridge pick up and the treble: P-like presence,while still retaining the two pickup J bass sound. If it's a line that requires more clarity,a slight roll back of the neck yields more clarity and definition,without going total "Jaco". I do the same when recording.

13. BassByBaldSteve

BassByBaldSteve Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Aguilar Amplification
    This is as spot-on as it gets.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  14. I have to disagree with this. I started on an old B.C. Rich warlock, then got an Epiphone Flying V, and never touched a P bass for at least a year. I have trouble playing them, and find them super uncomfortable. I love the tone but the bass just feels wrong in my hands. For live stuff I've only ever used my epiphone Flying V or an Ibanez Soundgear since it tuned well to drop C. In my experience, the audience will eat up a cool looking bass and some stage presence over a sweet tone. Then again, I play mostly bars and festivals where alcohol is usually being consumed in large amounts...

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I read somewhere that Joe Osborn only used the neck pickup on his old jazz bass and ran it through a fender super reverb guitar amp (or which ever one came with the 4x10 speakers)

16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah, you definitely need to play what's comfortable in your hands. almost every bass feels pretty comfortable in my hands. I don't pay attention to neck shape, Glossy vs. satin finish etc..My 2 fenders are slightly more comfy then My Ric but honestly I can groove an all of them pretty equally. I just Love all Basses I guess. Except the neck divers.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I thought it was the Concert, which I believe has a 410 as well. Probably sounds pretty similar, though...most Fender amps have that sound.

18. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Jimmy you should be careful with the purist statement! Somebody might say that a GK sound like an Ampeg B15 as long as one adjust the GK right :D

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well now you're being silly ;) But you can get a good sound out of both.

20. Yeah but no but, there's a certain something about 300w of power tube in one's tone. I know I like it best. Each to their own

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021