Precision vs. Jazz - "Sitting in the Mix"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChadPaulJones, Apr 5, 2013.

1. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    +1000000 for that. That is how I've been running my J bass for many years now.
    But both flavors just work. That's why they're so popular. I do think the J is a but more flexible.
    OTOH I also have a P bass. The method I use for selecting one over the other is at setup. One will just sound/feel better that night, in that room.

The most important element is in you....your ears, heart and hands.

villis likes this.
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Definitely true. Always funny to see a band running around with flailing arms when you put on a click track at band rehearsal, like my own two days ago. I felt like I was the only one in the band who could actually play to a click track (but I record myself fairly often which does indeed work wonders in ironing out issues you are otherwise unaware of)

The guy in this case was tone deaf and rhythm disabled though...

Oldschool94 likes this.
  3. ChadPaulJones

ChadPaulJones

Aug 8, 2012
    This was a great threat. Thanks to everyone for responding. For what its worth I'm selling my 60th Anniversary P and I'm keeping my 2012 Am Std Jazz. I just posted a classifed for the P if anyone is interested. P.S. if I could afford/justify keeping both of them I would.

P.S. to all you haters "hatin" on the jazz in the mix........Jonesy did pretty well with his on Zep 1 - Physical Grafitti..............ha ha ha

4. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Indeed, and many other Jazz sitting in the mix example. Geddy? Marcus Miller? Jaco? Some late Beatles? The Killers?
    And then plenty of P bass sitting in the mix. Both are great.

villis likes this.
  5. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I own and like both.

Most of my gigs are funk/jazz/r&b gigs so the jazz bass comes with me a lot just because I can get a great finger funk sound with the bridge pickup solo'd and I can get a pretty fat sound with the neck pickup solo'd for R&B style tunes and a great slap sound with both pickups on for the fusiony type stuff.

I do pick my maple board 73 P bass for my rock and blues gigs because it just works and sounds great. I also play it at my church, people always love the way it sits but still cuts through.

It's 50/50 when I record. I usually bring both and it's pretty evenly split between engineers wanting the jazz or precision.

6. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    As long as we're on a how well a P-Bass sits in the mix thread and you mentioned Hugh McDonald ... When I was playing full time back in the late 70's/early 80's, the band I was playing in opened for Steve Forbert on his "Jackrabbit Slim" tour and also did a mini-tour with David Bromberg's big band and Hugh McDonald manned the bass chair for both bands. He simply killed it and had what I would call the quintessential P-Bass tone from what looked like a late 60's/early 70's alder/rosewood P. Check out McDonald's studio P-Bass tone/playing on Steve Forbert's "Little Stevie Orbit" and all or most of David Bromberg's Fantasy releases. I consider him to be very underrated ... he's a Bob Glaub type of player who is in high demand because he's such a solid ensemble player and has such great taste and tone.

7. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yes Yes , as much as a J, L2K or MM can sound like heaven at home , once your at the gig they DO seem to get a bit lost,im talking standard pub gigs here, whereas the farty `ol P Bass at home absolutely kills at the gig .
    Scoop for the Studio/ Mid for the Moshpit !

villis likes this.
  8. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Sort of like Blonde or Brunette , both have their merits but individuals have their favourites , if you like Redheads get a MM ....

9. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Or if youve been playing with a machine for years you hear how bad the drummer is .......

10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yep, pretty much my experience.

11. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Pretty much. If I hired the recording engineer/producer, I'll listen to his/her reasons for wanting this or that bass, but the ultimate decision is with me, and I'm probably going to play what I like.

If the producer/engineer hired me (as in, is paying me), then I'll play a 2x4 with a single string if that's what he/she wants.

12. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    which mix? are we discussing studio,or live,small - like pub or bar venue or big like stadium venue?
    my opinion,and experience,as being lucky one to play all of the above and still do... both of them sounds great,and both of them could sound bad too :)
    Something to bear in mind - Nate Watts (one of my favorite bass players) and many others of his calibre,playing P bass in the studio mostly,but live he mostly plays 5 strings J basses (A Coppolo or Bosa)
    it works for THEIR mix and he obviously enjoys feel and the sound.

13. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    Neither sit well in the mix by default as it all depends on what the mix is like and mostly on the stuff you will be playing in there.

First off, a P bass is really cool to have but very much a one trick pony. It is VERY good at performing that trick though, no hate from me there just a bit of realism. There are more versatile bass guitars on this planet. In lots of music the P's presence kinda glues the other instruments together if you know how to properly put its tone to work.

In other music types though the bass guitar isn't supposed to blend in like that and should punch through the mix rather then sit well within it.

For this reason "Sitting in the mix" is by itself a poor parameter to judge an instrument on. Playing something that sits well within the song is so much more important.

I love all my basses for different reasons, each has their strengths and weaknesses. I just try to put the bass at hand's tone to work within the mix of instruments, playing each of them in different ways really. Sometimes a song demands I grab another bass. Therefore I also own a Ric and a Warwick fiver besides my Jazz and Precision basses and am always eager to try other basses, too!

Bass guitars are just tools. You need the right tool for the job at hand AND you need to be experienced in putting that tool to work properly there's nothing more to it.

14. Tikola914

Tikola914 Guest

Jun 14, 2021
    I second this.

15. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    These debates are always so fun to watch.

Tikola914, dabbler and okcrum like this.
  16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Right? It's as if there are no adjustments on amps and mixers...

David76112 likes this.
  17. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    [Sit in mix] VS [great tone in mix] possibly different too.....

dabbler likes this.
  18. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    This ^^^^^^
    Jazz sounds fine when it does not have to compete with anything, great for a jazz trio.
    You want to be heard in band with two rock guitar players, Precision Bass and a StingRay will do the job.

Fresh Eddie likes this.
  19. Tikola914

Tikola914 Guest

Jun 14, 2021
    Indeed.

David76112 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021