1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

precision vs. thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 22, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Ok so to me this is how it goes , Thunderbird for looks and sound and you can get alot different sounds from just changing the volume and tone knobs unlike p basses but p basses for ease of playing and it feels alot better also the p is the original I could never pick to just have one forever to me if its a simple song or stays lower than the 15th fret I like tbirds but for more advanced stuff I like the p bass , I'm comparing these to using my 95 Gibson tbird and 2012 mim p bass please only Gibson and fenders (epiphone and squier is a no no , nothing wrong with them but still) if I had a p bass with that thin tbird neck and pickups like a tbird it would be perfection , total perfection , are epi tbird necks the same size as Gibson , could I take a epi neck and put It on my fender or would that not work

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I get you, for I'm a Fender guy, but a Jazz bass one, not a Precision's, thus keeping fair distance from both

And to me, as long as I'm concerned, they both cut thru a band mix very well they both are excellent with a pick they both are iconic and they both have not that many sounds under their metaphoric belts. That's why they're both not my cup of tea. But I can understand their immense appeal in rock.

Now y'all think "he's a Fender guy in the end, so he's going to favor Precision bass in awhile, an excuse or another..." no way

I like the Precision bass more than the Thunderbird, but then again I need two pickups on a bass of mine, and I'll end up adding one to the Precision (theorethically a neck humbucker), so, with status quo equipment: no preference for me between the two.

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. This time two years ago, I owned six (!) Thunderbirds.

I had just suffered a vicious back injury. Being off work, I was collecting basses out of boredom.

Then it hit me. The 'birds were causing me to twist while I was playing, constantly irritating my injury. I'd get off the stage and be in so much pain that I couldn't walk the next day.

I tried a P to see if the answer was a more balanced bass, and the problem wasn't fixed, but it was ALOT more comfortable to play.

I now own 3 P-basses, and more will be on the way, I'm sure of it. I also prefer their sound to the Thunderbird.

4. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i have 5 birds, 2 P's also two J's.....their different animals totally. i actually like the birds more, but at the time the P's and J's fit my "band needs" a little more....... they are 4 bangers and my two go to birds are 5ers, my JAEbird is a 4 but needs thunderbuckers put into it before it makes it into the rotation.