Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Precision Vs Warwick ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 17, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi i just got a Warwick F.N.A , the musicman-like warwick.

But im not convinced with the sound. The lows seem to be very blury, and its not very versatil. My other bass is a a Fender 78 jazz wich i love.

Some one just ofered me a Fender American Presicion for the Warwick, hand to hand. I think its form late 90`s.

These days im about to try the P out and see if i like it. Do you say it is a fair trade?

Also, i remember listening that Fender did some bad stuff in the 90`s, is this true? what should i look and check in the bass?

Thanks!

2. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i personally hate the p bass sound, and im surprised you havent gotten a nice tone outta the wick. btw is this a fna jazzman were talking about here?

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    No, its a corvette F.N.A, with 1 hummbucker only

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    keep the warwick..................

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Lose the Warwick.

6. Try the P, if you like it, trade.
    To my ears you can't go wrong with a good Precision, the most honest and true bass around.:)

7. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Keep the Warwick. If you want a P-bass, save up and find a nice used MIM one. You said you just got it. Give it some time.

8. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Funny enough I had a Warwick FNA 5 that I traded straight up for an '03 MIA P. I liked the Warwick's sound, but it wasn't the sound I was looking for.

Here's the best part. I bought the Warwick new for $699... it had been hanging on GC's wall for over a year and they were trying to move it. I traded my fretless stingray and Ibanez soundgear straight up for it. A few years later I wanted a P, so I looked high and low for the perfect P. I found it at GC. It was marked $750. They said I could trade straight up for it... I got them to throw in a hardshell case, strap, and two sets of strings. I've never looked back.

9. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    They totally have a different sound...

It is like night and day...

P Basses + fingerstyle: give a jazzy, bluesy treble tone or a fat regge tone... You all know how a Fender sounds.
    P-Basses + pick: chunky, thick and cutting. Still treble and stuff like that... You all know how a Fender with a pick sounds...

Wariwck + fingerstyle: totally organic, you hear the wood totally. This gives an overall thicker, muddier and more growly tone overall.
    Warwick + pick: cuts through the mix more but still possesses a lot of the tonal qualities as the fingers..

I prefer my Warwicks in metal and rock bands which de-tune a bit and my Fender for blues and rock/emo bands or songs with a pick...

I am faster on my Warwicks as far as being able to play intricate stuff and more comfortable than on the Fender. Fingertapping too. I 99% of the time play fingerstyle on these.

However, my current band is more straight forward and I dont need to do a ton so the Fender is my main bass right now and I am using a pick

Keep the Warwick and find a MIM P-Bass... cheap and they are all you need.

10. That's strange that you say it is blurry sounding. I think I know what you mean by that adjective in the sound sense, but all of the FNA's I've heard have been meaty, growly, and SHARP as all get out. Like a Stingray crossed with a Thumb. Maybe you should mess with the eq some, or perhaps you got a bad one?

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Actually the word to describe it may be "boomer". I tried with diferent amps in diferent rooms. When i boost lows it becomes more "boom boom" instead of defined lows like my jazz bass. Maybe i got a bad one...

I tried lowering or uppering the strings, and so the pickup...

12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Warwick for construction, Fender for sound.