1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision with maple or rosewood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Black Butterfy, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Black Butterfy

Black Butterfy

Mar 16, 2008
    I 'm thinking of buying a Fender Precision USA Std. Which is better for classic rock sound?
    And what are the main differences between them?

2. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I have 2 P basses, one maple, one rosewood. The maple gives you more of a brighter sound with more mids, while I found the rosewood to be more of a woody,earthy sound. To me, theres a slight difference, but nothing extremely different

3. .Anfield

.Anfield

Feb 24, 2008
    Go with which you like best, as the above user said, that there is little difference. and how it looks with the colour.

4. lovemybasses

lovemybasses

Mar 4, 2007
    I like maple on P. growly, low mids!!! you might be different hehe!

5. you should do a search on the subject, recently if I remember, a guy recorded one jazz bass body, he swaped between a maple neck and a rosewood neck on the same bass and recorded sample so we could hear the differences.

There is one, but it is very very small, you have to pay real close attention to hear it. It's small enough that you should not even bother about it, just takes the one you find the most attractive.

6. The Precision pickup really colors the tone to the point where choices in lumber isn't as dramatic. That being said, you might notice a little additional brightness with the maple and warmth with rosewood.

7. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    +1 briter top growly mids and more snap +++ I love the black & maple look.

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm not sure how much difference there really is tonewise, but both tonewise and visually I tend towards the darker spectrum Rosewood is my preference, whether based on tone or aesthetics.

9. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    View attachment 85481

I vote one of each!

Seriously, you notice my maple neck is a P. It definitely is the darker, "throatier" bass but most of that is the fact that its a P vs. a J. I agree with those above that the main consideration in finger board wood is aesthetics. The sound difference is small enough that I think you could get where you want to with pre-amp tweaks.

10. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    +1

Go with the overall looks. If you need more treble, walk over to your amp and turn up the treble. If you have too much, turn it counterclockwise. Problem solved.

Go with the one that you like the best, including the overall look. Maple f/b's look funny on some basses, great on others.

11. If it were me I would go maple.

12. Maple

13. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Maple is easier to see the frets in darkly lit conditions.

14. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Hehehehehe! Didn't see that one coming.

:D

15. Love the look and feel of Maple, so I'd say Maple.

On a related note, Maple board seems to turn a blackish dirty color after a few years, any way to prevent that from happening? Or is refinishing them every few years the only option? Or maybe the newer finish hold up better?

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The maple turns dark where the finish has worn away. (This doesn't bother me at all, btw). Note that new polyurethane finishes should hold up for a long time. If you don't want the wood to darken, just keep an eye on the finish ... small dings and chips can be covered with super glue.

18. The rosewood is a more tested and popular choice. James Jamerson, John Paul Jones, etc. You'll never wish you would have gotten the maple, but I can guarantee you that you'll always regret not having the rosewood just because of the traditional tones it gives.

19. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    I have one of each so that I don't have to ask myself again ;)

DSC01362.
    DSC00925.