Precision Wood Check

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I was thinking about buying another P, possibly MIA Fender, maybe Skyline Glaub. Anyway, based solely on aesthetics, I think the ash/maple combo looks the best. But what does a P with ash/maple sound like? Is it drastically different from the traditional, alder/rosewood setup? really bright? snappy, even? the mids and highs have to be different...

Also just kind of wondering why Fender has changed the 'standard' in their basses over the years - such as during the 70s, ash/maple P and J basses became the standard as opposed to the alder/rosewood basses of the 60s. In the 50s I think it was ash/maple too?

Just wondering what the tonal differences are. I'll probably put flatwounds on it if I get it so... perhaps it wouldn't matter that much?
  2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Well, having one of each, I'd say your choice of the words "brighter" and "snappier" are a pretty good description of the ash/maple combo, but the difference isn't really that pronounced. The strings I have on each are the same brand and model, but the ones on the ash bass are 3 years old, while the others are new. My alder P is actually brighter right now for that reason. So all in all, I'd make your choice based on aesthetics rather than tone if you're only going to get one.

As for Fender's choice of woods over the years, my theory is that they used whatever was more plentiful and/or cheaper at the time.
  3. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Cool, thanks for the info. Butterscotch blonde here I come
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It will still sound like a P bass, just a bit snappier. With flats, you may not even be able to tell a difference.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree with them.