1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Thump, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Is it just me ? It seems the P is falling back into favour lately more than ever,I've got my Geddy & got a new american p to compliment it & while I still love the Geddy,The P is seeing most of the action.... just growly,grindy,& more of that bark than the J lovin' it

2. Roger Haworth

Roger Haworth

Mar 31, 2005
    I agree. My Geddy is my favourite bass but I've recently got a new Steve Harris Precision. I've left the heavy gauge flatwounds on and having used it exclusively at practices for a few weeks both hands are rippling with muscles (lol) and the Geddy neck seems so thin and delicate in comparison. I used the P at a gig last night and whilst the high end definition did not cut through in the same way as a Jazz, the pure thunder of the low end was physically impressive. Very dark, very deep, very heavy :)

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I too keep coming back to a P Bass.
    They've got that sound that's in the collective subconscious.

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I was always a jazz bass guy but lately the P bass is seeing a lot more action. When I go back to the jazz it sounds so thin compared to the P bass. I bought the the p bass for a three piece project I'm working on to fill in more (drums guitar and bass). I have found my self using it with my other band and recording with it as well.

5. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    The P bass has got that classic tone that fits so well in the mix.

DSCN0254.

6. It's hard to beat a P.

hard2beatap.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I still can't pick a favorite. When I'm playing one of my Jazzes, I'll think, "Damn, I love this bass!" Then I'll pick up a P and think, "Damn, I love this bass!" I don't think it's that I'm wishy-washy. I think they're both excellent. I just go with my mood.

8. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Same Here!

DSC03413.

9. Simple sonic purrfection :bassist:

10. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    The P-bass is one of those rare things that was just about perfect from the moment it was created. In 50+ years of trying, I don't think the original has been much improved on. That says an awful lot about the soundness of the design and the genius of Mr. Fender.

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas

oh good so i'm not the only one..lol

12. I'd love the P to get mo' love- I'm considering selling my 73 soon. :ninja: Ideally I would parlay it into an MIJ P & J, so I guess I'm wishy-washy)on P vs J)too. Really leaning toward the *couple of Fenders & a nice amp* frame of mind these days...

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I didn't know they ever went out of style. Been playing P's since 1982 :)

l_416d5206fef33af4c4d077ed5bb648cb.
    l_3e32231a66d040b78db1acc75c256ed2.
    l_ab662c4cebde756d7aa009ea013266f8.
    l_ed74e5a84d027b447c6cc354d2706bd4.

14. Here is my 1965 L series
    [​IMG]

15. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    this ones been getting all the love lately at my place

it's the BEST of both worlds :smug:

DSCF0005-9.

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Here's my 2006 Highway one I bought used on e-bay. I love this bass. Can I get a number please?
    IMG_4293-1.
    IMG_4287.

17. I guess I've been away too long fellas.I haven't had a real P-Bass in quite some time.I have two Jazz Bass Specials (w/a P-pup) and they just don't have the rumble and tone that I seem to remember (had a late-60'sPBass in my teens).Maybe it's the wood,I don't know.

I do love the sound of them.What my problem is,is I can't seem to get away from 5 strings.A lot of bassist I know have gravitated back to a 4 string.But for me,I've really,really implemented the low B into my style.Can't help it.Another thing I've noticed is ALOT of posts have come up on here about the use of flatwounds too.Man!,it's been awhile since I shredded on those.Wait,you aren't supposed to shred on those,are you?

18. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    A number for what?

19. Wrong thread.

20. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Awesome bass! What is that? It's not a Hoppus right?