Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

predicament

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 25, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my current rig is=

SWR Bass 350 (running at 2 ohm right now, 450 W)
    SWR Goliath Junior III 4ohm
    Peavey 15" PA speaker 4ohm

when i'm playing REALLY loud and hard, it sounds like it's overdriving. (i'm in a 9 piece band with 4 horns) i'm pretty sure it's the crappy 15 i'm using.

question 1) am i overpowering a speaker, or underpowering?

question 2) i have access to two sonic PA/sub speakers, both of which are 8 ohm. is there any way to wire up BOTH of them in addition to my SWR GJ3 and keep the load over 2 ohm?

question 3) if i wanted to get a different cab, will i have enought power to power the GJ3 and a triad, or should i only get the son of bertha?

question 4) if i added a parametric EQ and a compressor to the signal chain, would that add noise? or should i just ditch the bass 350 and get a full rack unit?

anyone who helps me out with this will get a cookie. thanks in advance!

jason

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm not going to address the whole business, but about the 15" PA speaker ... It seems to me someone in here was talking about how PA speakers and bass speakers are different animals. In order to produce the low fundamentals of the bass guitar, a 15 needs to have something like 4 cm of excursion (don't quote me on this). PA speakers are intended for more full-range application, and don't have the same characteristics of 15's made for bass. PA speakers need to respond to a broader frequency range, and need shorter excursion to keep from muddying the mids and highs. So it's likely that you're asking the speaker to produce more bottom than it's designed to do. I don't know anything about all that other stuff. That's all.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    1) You might be clipping the amp.

2) Just wire all the speakers in parallel. Two 8 ohm cab and one 4 ohm cab will give you 2 ohms. But if you do this the GJ3 will get more power than each individual PA sub. You might have trouble with balance, but then again you might not. Just try it out.

3) The triad is 4 ohms and the SOB is 8, so the triad might match up better with the GJ3. Just go to a store with your rig and try both setups out.

I don't know about 4.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    consider both of you cookied :D

anyone else? especially the noise question?

jason