1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preferred brands of jazz basses anyone??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, May 15, 2018.

1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Hey fellow TBers!
    I am deciding between these 3 awesome jazz basses. Which do you prefer and why? Are they all as good as each other? Any info would be great this is just to get you guys chatting aswell!

So.... which jazz bass out of...

Fender, G&L or Atelier Z???

You guys know what to do...
    Let the comments roll in!

2. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Love the G&L's assuming they use the standard J style PUP and are lightweight
    Which Fender?
    No experience with Atelier

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Don't forget Bacchus.
    Other than that, you can't go wrong with G&L or Atelier Z.
    24644jr.

gebass6 likes this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    For under $$1000
    Squire CV60’s Jazz for passive .
    Sire for active.

Over $1000 is G&L for passive .
    Sadowsky for active.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 5:33 AM
  5. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    what about fender? yeah ive heard of brachuss and also bravewood? bravewood any good?

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 11:01 PM
  6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Lakland!!!

jo4-burst-bb.

cassanova and SJan3 like this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Of those three and looking for one that offers the best value I'd go with a G&L USA JB or a Tribute Series JB if you need to stay under $1K new. IMHO the best deal of all would be a Tribute Series L-2000 with MFD pickups. It uses the same US made pickups and saddle-lock bridge as the US version but is built for G&L by Cort who have also made top shelf products.

Why? I've owned a number of Fender Jazz and PBasses over the years and own two Squier CVs now both of which I also consider to be of better value than their Fender equivalents and can be easily upgraded as I have mine. My G&L L-2500 is a step up from these and the MFD pickups and Saddle-Lock bridge eliminate any need for an upgrade of either.

Although the 4 string L-2000 doesn't have the classic offset body of a J Bass it's far more versatile tonally. In fact my G&L has virtually taken the place of my Jazz Bass which I may actually sell. It's just that much better. Used these basses are an even better value because their resale is less than a Fender. For that reason I would suggest shopping used ones as I did.

JMHO

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    I'm satisfied with this. 8vsnl2.

Spidey2112 and eastcoasteddie like this.
  9. Fender (or Squier).

IPA and dmt like this.
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    As always, instrument choice depends entirely on what gig you plan on using it for.

I’ve been in and out of a lot of competitive cover auditions the past ten years; and my experience is that Fender on the headstock makes non bass knowledgeable musicians comfortable. So, I would choose to have a Fender for auditioning, if nothing else. If you get the gig, then you can play whatever you think works best.

I also happen to like Sadowsky J basses, have one of those, and have the Sadowsky preamp in two of my Fenders.

BassmusM6674 and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    There’s this company called Fender that makes a bass they call the Jazz bass. A lot of people like them; you should check them out

:cool:

cassanova, Linnin, SJan3 and 3 others like this.
  12. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I checked out the G&L JB-2 and listened to several demos---all had a lot of fret noise and really did not deliver a jazz tone. darn it. Less than impressive.

The Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz bass beat it hands down.

13. Can't go wrong with Fender or G&L.

SJan3 likes this.
  14. A lot of people think the original Fender Jazz is still the sound to beat.

A lot of others feel Leo Fender took what he started with Fender and perfected it at G&L.

A lot of members from both those groups have never even heard of Atelier.

SJan3 and RumbleMan3 like this.
  15. BlueP

BlueP

Jan 29, 2017
    Sydney
    Fender USA 2012 or later

I don’t know about the other brands or models and I assume they are decent as well

But from experience, the USA 2012 precision and jazz are good

Good necks in terms of consistency along and across the fret board, good balance with no neck dive, decent pick ups, rock solid tuners and forgive me for mentioning it as I will probably get fuelled but string thru body at the bridge,

A type of guitar that once you have it you are glad you have it ... and in a market where there are other great options but not to the point where you regret what you bought, assuming it’s a Jazz you really want ...

For me, the blonde neck versions are good, possibly a personal choice but they feel different to play than rosewood

16. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    im looking between 60s road worn, flea jazz or elite jazz. cant decide to go vintage or modern

17. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    cheap and used

18. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    A good fender or Atelier Z ( Fender, we know what we are getting as long as you try before buying)
    Atelier Z, tried those basses, great basses, great action ( never seen a fender with an action like that), great if you are into 70's jazz basses.

If you have more money to spend, you should check out Sadowsky basses as well

19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My last 3 Jazz basses have been a Fender Am Std V (a good bass), a Mike Lull M5V Jazz (a great bass) and a Sadowsky Metro RV5 Jazz (a fantastic bass).

I sold the others and kept the Sadowsky. I'm not sure I'd buy a Jazz from anyone else after this.

petch and BassmusM6674 like this.
  20. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    Fender Mexico or USA no block inlays