Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preferred DR (or DR-esque) string for fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 11, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really like the SS DR Loriders on my Warwick SS2 5 string, and will be getting a Thumb 6 fretless within a week or so. i want something that won't completely eat the crap out of the fretboard (ebony), something that's more flexible than the lo-riders, but something that's got TONS of mwah and growl.

What are peoples experience with hi-beams/sunbeams/fatbeams for fretless?

thanx

2. I think Nickel Lo-Riders or Hi-Beams are your best bet. The Hi-Beams aren't as stiff, and they're a lot brighter. Some people have trouble with accurately producing harmonics on them, which is a really cool part of fretless, so you might chose otherwise. Nickel Lo's will be easier on the board, and slightly warmer for the mwah factor. I recommend coating your board with something anyway, then you can put what you want on.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Jason, why don't you try a set of Thomastik Jazz flats. They are very bright sounding, and feel really really nice. You can slap on them if you want to! I really like them. They give you that fretless mmwah sound, but have a lot of definition.

P.S. I really envy you!!! That is going to be a sweet sounding bass! I played a fretless 5 thumb the other day, and it was easily one of the best sounding fretless basses I have ever played. It felt great too. Have fun:)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Try a set if SIT Silencers. They have inverse winding. Flats on the outside and round on the inside. They feel like flats, but sound like rounds. I have a set on my P Bass.