preferred DR (or DR-esque) string for fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Sep 11, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really like the SS DR Loriders on my Warwick SS2 5 string, and will be getting a Thumb 6 fretless within a week or so. i want something that won't completely eat the crap out of the fretboard (ebony), something that's more flexible than the lo-riders, but something that's got TONS of mwah and growl.

What are peoples experience with hi-beams/sunbeams/fatbeams for fretless?

2. I think Nickel Lo-Riders or Hi-Beams are your best bet. The Hi-Beams aren't as stiff, and they're a lot brighter. Some people have trouble with accurately producing harmonics on them, which is a really cool part of fretless, so you might chose otherwise. Nickel Lo's will be easier on the board, and slightly warmer for the mwah factor. I recommend coating your board with something anyway, then you can put what you want on.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Jason, why don't you try a set of Thomastik Jazz flats. They are very bright sounding, and feel really really nice. You can slap on them if you want to! I really like them. They give you that fretless mmwah sound, but have a lot of definition.

P.S. I really envy you!!! That is going to be a sweet sounding bass! I played a fretless 5 thumb the other day, and it was easily one of the best sounding fretless basses I have ever played. It felt great too. Have fun:)
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Try a set if SIT Silencers. They have inverse winding. Flats on the outside and round on the inside. They feel like flats, but sound like rounds. I have a set on my P Bass.