1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preferred tuss rod for full time builders

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jul 22, 2012.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have been using the dual action LMI truss rod for several years now and after having the Allen wrench strip out the socket on one neck I wanted to se what other options were out there.

What I am looking for has to be dual action and I don't care for the Stew mac spoke type. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. I am not full time, in fact I am just building my first bass, but as a player, I really like how easy the stu mac spoke ones are to use and adjust.

lowsound

3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Out of curiosity, what is it about the spoke-type truss rod adjusters that you dislike?

4. Markpotato

Markpotato

Jul 19, 2012
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Luthier, Sorrentino Guitars
    Not a full time builder yet but I'll give you my two cents. I like LMI and Allied Luthierie double action rods. They were actually both designed by the same guy, who designs some even fancier ones now. I don't like the Stewmac rods because they require a deeper route and I like my necks thin and flat.

I mainly like the double action rods because I don't have to route a curved channel. Haven't made a jig for that yet, maybe I will some day.

Did you use the right size allen wrench? Right size should not strip it unless it's not in all the way. Does the rod poke out enough to do this? Also helps to loosen all the strings obviously, as there will be less force required to turn the rod (that's the way you're supposed to do it anyway).

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
  6. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
    Just posted this on the other thread but I'll post it here as well.

A lot of people making acoustic guitars swear by the Allied Lutherie truss rods. They look like the LMI and others but work slightly differently. Instead of a left-hand thread at one end and a right-hand thread at the other, they have two right-hand threads, one coarse and one fine which makes for much finer adjustment (and less effort to turn). They are also made of stainless steel. the only drawback could be that their bass guitar model isn't as long as some others.

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The allied rods are good, i can also vouch for them, just like dave said, they are not as long as others for bass (21 1/4" instead of 24").....

The "grizzly rod's" aren't bad, done a handful with them.....

8. chiselhead

chiselhead

Mar 18, 2009
    Knox, New York
    I've used both the Stew Mac and the Grizzly rods and prefer the Grizzly rods. Less expensive too.

9. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I like the rods I get from Martin Keith. They are similar to grizzly, but a bit longer and work well. I have truss rods made locally, but the rods from Martin Keith are a good substitute

10. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I started making my own truss rods a couple of years ago... they're only single action, but they work well, and are super cheap.

11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Anybody used the allparts rods? They seem to have good reviews, but feel kinda flimsy and I'm a little hesitant to use it... :(

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I like the rods that Bestbassgear sells. Inexpensive and work well, all I need in a truss rod.

13. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Tom, I can help you if you don't find any of the commercially available rods that you like. I specialize in truss rod installations, and I provide customized kits for other Luthiers. I have a double-acting single-rod installation that can be fitted to many different neck configurations.

You know where to reach me.

14. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    As a possible alternative resource, Spector will sell their dual action truss rod to individuals, so I was told. It's the rod they put in the US and CR basses. Don't know the pricing and haven't tried one yet, but have been thinking of doing so.

I think it's important to install a rod that the average bassist will have confidence in. Otherwise, they won't be able to call it a trust rod.

15. Drake Custom

Drake Custom Commercial User

Aug 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Builder/Owner:Drake Custom Bass Guitars
    I guess you can call me a pro builder as people pay me to build instruments but I have a hard time calling myself that.
    I have been using the Grizzly rods for years and love them. They have had a black plastic wrap on them in the past but recently they arrive with blue plastic wrap and seem to be a little better quality. The wrench from the old black covered rods was kind of mis-shaped and alway had a burr on the end that inserts into the adjustment area that had to be filed off. The newer blue ones have a nicely finished wrench that comes with it. I think the Bestbassgear rod is the exact same rod. I will probably be using those next time I order as I buy a lot of electronics from them.

16. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Anyone have comments or reviews of the allparts rods? I can't seem to find any reference on here to builders using them and I'm worried about how flimsy this thing feels compared to LMI rods that I've used...

17. Reticle

Reticle

Jul 24, 2009
    Charleston SC
    Man, I was sold on the Allied rods right up until I read the "We have this rod made in China under the supervision of a US guitar builder" part.

18. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I use two way rods made by Steve Smith of Cumberland Acoustics:

http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/

I've know the man for years. Very talented & a great guy.

Moonshine :bassist:

19. CheshireCatFun

CheshireCatFun

Mar 9, 2013
    Can it use a spoke wheel, and are spoke wheels not suitable for dual action? I might need two truss rods with a custom length.

C.

20. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The spoke wheel style truss rod kits that I currently supply to one of my clients are single-acting.

I haven't done a double-acting single-rod installation with a spoke wheel nut, but I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done.

Attached are some shots of the head assembly of the double-acting installation, and the cross-shaped routing that it goes in to. I normally make them up with the socket-style head, which takes a 3/16" Allen wrench. I could make up a similar unit with a spoke wheel head.

The installation is trickier than the commercial truss rods, requiring some fancier routing and drilling.

If you are interested, you can send me your neck blank, and I can install the truss rods, and send it back to you. I've done that for many customers.

Attached Files: