Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pregnancy High

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Sep 1, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Don't drink the water.

3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
  4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm pretty traditional about these things, so seeing 18 year old girls having kids doesn't bother me too much. If anything, I think the problem is that too many women are waiting until their 30s and 40s. One of my mom's best friends waited until her late 30's thinking that if men could do it, she could (hippy culture :meh: ). It was too late for her. Anything younger than 18 can be dangerous to the baby and mother. It's probably best to 'do it' around 25, give or take a few years.

5. Yea, everyone says 25 is the right time.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How's that such a mistake? IMO, waiting until later is by far and away the more responsible choice. You're far more settled with life, you've done your youthful crap, got a partner you might actually stay with, a much higher chance of actually being financially stable, experienced lots of what life has to offer, etc. etc.

Takes a woman (or man!) to raise a child, not kids.

7. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA

Well, when you're older, theres the possibility of not even being physically capable anymore to have a child. Also, if you have kid in your late 30's, you'll be almost 60 by the time they're 20. Playing sports with a 35 year old dad is a lot more fun than with a 45 year old dad, when you're older you can't really do anything physically demanding with your kids.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You need to meet some of the more active elderly. I know 65 year old men who run marathons. There is a 106 year old woman in a town nearby who takes her rowboat around the lake she lives on every morning. (She was on the national news a few years ago when she was a young 104 years of age and pissed because someone stole her boat). I work with a guy who's in his mid 40's and married late. He's got a 5 year old girl and a 3 year old boy, and he plays in softball/vollyball leagues and is still very active. There is no reason you cannot be physically active with your kids well into your later years. But if you spent your late 30's through 50's sitting on the couch watching TV (or in a chair on the internet :D ) don't expect to be able to run the Boston Marathon at 65.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You didn't stop playing because you grew old.

You grew old because you stopped playing.

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    If I ever had a kid and they got pregnant or got someone pregnant at such a young age....i'd smack them HARD.

Bad parenting these moron kids have.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh yeah...

As Maddox said "Love your kids? Prove it by beating them".

[​IMG]

You are so right... we should all just beat our kids... I mean... like my mom said... If i gave life to someone i should have ability to take it away...

If you are too weak to beat your kids call up Mafia to do it...
    Then run them over while going to drive thru in our SUV...

That will teach them little bastards…

Now that’s a great parenting… we should all be lucky to have you as our father…

I vote bad brain to be Talkbass’s godfather…

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    +1

Where i play hockey i've seen and played with/against several 60+ year olds... they were damn good.

13. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Think Gordie Howe?

Not 60.. But 52 is damn impressive for the NHL..
    D-A-M-N impressive.

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Being able to play sports with your kids is a pretty silly criterion for deciding when to have children in my opinion. How about financial and emotional stability, maturity, a healthy committed working relationship? Besides there are plenty of 60 year olds that are in great shape. And anyway if you're 50, you probably shouldn't be playing tackle football with your 25 year old son.

I guess my kids are just going to be in trouble...my wife and I are in our 30s...that's practically one foot in the grave, right? :rolleyes:

Marshall

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    is it really that hard to take the extra few seconds to put the condom on?

or is it that high school kids are embarrased about buying them?

well... imo... if you can't even buy your own condoms, then you aren't ready to be having sex

edit: post 4000... cool :bassist:

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Same here. My son was born in January and I'm just about to turn 37. Guess I'll need Geritol & a walker to send him off to college when I'm 54.

My wife & I waited because we wanted to be done with school so we could devote time to our child. So far our plan seems to be working. When I was a kid I barely knew my dad because he had to work 2 jobs (plus my mom worked) to make ends meet. I don't want to be an absentee dad.

17. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    These are very interesting discussions, but I'm sorry my fellow bassplayers have missed the most important part of the story.

The nickname for the school sports teams is the Trojans.

As Jack Paar used to say, I kid you not.

18. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Hehe. I first read your name like "cajones."

19. There's also the factor of not being able to conceive and bring babies to full term, or have babies without complications, when women are older.

The peak time of fertility in women is around about the 16-28 age range, I think. Sometime in there. Women who are trying to have children at around 35-45 years of age often run into problems with the pregnancy.

It's a big issue for women these days. I, for one, am a bit stuck about it myself. For example, if I had a child at 23-25, I would still be doing my University degree and working part time. It would be economically preferrable to have a family later. But biologically, I don't want to take the risk. I want to minimise the chances of problems with the pregnancy and the child's heath as much as I can, and that means I should have children earlier.

And I'm not saying that people who have children later are wrong or anything (because you're not; that's a dumb thing to say). You should be able to do whatever the hell you want. But health-wise, for both the mother and the child, it is preferrable to start early.

But not at 18 and not while still at school.

20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I can't even begin to count the number of women I know who had uncomlicated and very sucessful (not counting personality) pregancies in their early to mid 30's (my wife, my sister (even had twins at 36) both my immediate neighbors, several other friends from the neighborhood (one due again in 2 weeks at age 30), at least 5 of my wife's friends, Both Graphic Designers at work (one less than a month ago at 34), the list goes on...) I think that medical advances have pushed the "safe" age for childbirth well into the late 30's and most of the data that pushes the 18-25 ages is 15 to 20 years out of date.